Professor Who? If the Doctors were College Professors

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

On September 19, the Season 9 Premiere of Doctor Who aired in the United States. 

The Doctor is known for many things: massive brain power, his TARDIS that can travel through all time and space, somehow ending up in Britain every other episode despite his ability to travel literally anywhere, and saving the Earth and countless other worlds from the evils that lurk in the universe. I can’t help but think that with his vast intelligence and extensive travels, he would be a pretty great college professor in pretty much any subject.

Since each Doctor is unique, I believe they would all teach very differently from each other. (Episode references are in parentheses)

The Ninth Doctor

Subject(s): Political Science, Pre-Law

Qualifications: Knows the Shadow Proclamation inside and out (Rose). Very experienced in diplomacy, having engaged in negotiation with alien species and high-ranking officials (World War III). He’s extremely savvy, persuasive and can talk his way out of anything. He has even talked himself out of certain death– several times!

Teaching Style: Friendly, but confident. He won’t be distracted or manipulated by anyone trying to get out of doing classwork. He can be very sassy and can come up with epic comebacks in response to snarky students.

(The End of the World)

The Tenth Doctor

Subject(s): Physics (or pretty much any field in the College of Science)

Qualifications: He actually taught physics at a private grade school (School Reunion). He has also taught a variety of academic fields while he was hiding out on Earth as a human (Human Nature/The Family of Blood).

He has lots of practical scientific experience, such as flying the TARDIS, computer science, improvising handy gadgets, and creating chemical solutions. He also traveled with a medical school student, Martha Jones.

Teaching Style: A true academic, this professor gets extremely excited about what he is teaching and can be a little intense. If you provide a keen insight on the class material, you’ve probably made his day! He loves what he teaches so much that he is probably the faculty head of several academic and science clubs on campus.

(School Reunion)

The Eleventh Doctor:

Subject(s): Anthropology, History

Qualifications: His travels through time make it easy to study the past, but this Doctor is especially knowledgeable in these fields. From 16th century Venice (Vampires in Venice) to WWII (Victory of the Daleks), he has extensive knowledge of the human past.

As an anthropologist/archaeologist, he was involved in an ambitious dig several meters into the Earth (The Hungry Earth), examined an ancient temple (The Time of Angels) and attended a convention at Stonehenge (The Pandorica Opens). He is also married to anthropologist River Song, and he personally knows Queen Nefertiti and Vincent van Gogh!

Teaching Style: Friendly, appraochable, everybody’s favorite professor. He will probably curve your final if you ask him really nicely. However, he has a terrible grasp on “what’s popular with the kids these days” and tries way too hard to be cool. 

The Twelfth Doctor

Subject(s): Psychology, Philosophy

Qualifications: This Doctor tends to be obsessed with the who and why of his expeditions. Why do all humans have the same nightmare? What is at the end of the universe (Listen)? How does a Dalek think, and what makes them so evil? Am I a good man (Into the Dalek)? He likes to asks the DEEP questions. He probably also knows some aspects about teaching from his companion Clara Oswald, who teaches grade school English/Literature.

Teaching Style: He’s pretty much the opposite of the Eleventh Doctor; he’s a really tough grader, and you would be terrified to ever ask him a question about the class material. Most likely, he’s the one who’s teaching your MWF 8:00AM. He’s also a big fan of using an old school blackboard and drawing out complex diagrams.

Even though he seems cold and serious in the classroom, this professor is actually the COOLEST guy you will ever meet. No one knows anything about his secret life except one kid who accidentally stumbled on his Facebook page and SWEARS he saw pictures of the professor performing at a concert. 

Best part of the Season 9 Premiere! (The Magician’s Apprentice Part 1)

When do we get to sign up on Class Search for their spring semester courses?!  :)

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us and show our Instagram some love! 

Source: 1

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 89, 10

Katie Surine

Notre Dame

Katie is a senior (where did the time go???!!!) living in Lewis Hall. From Baltimore, MD, Katie is pursuing a double major in Vocal Music and Anthropology. Besides writing for HCND, she sings with Opera Notre Dame, choral groups, and she is a pianist for Lewis Hall weekly Mass and Lucenarium, or "Luce" for short. Other interests include baking, reading, traveling, composing, and all things Italian.