Post-Workout Snacks That Fit Your Schedule

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

It’s a typical Saturday morning, you’ve just finished your half-hour run on the elliptical and ensuing ab workout and you’re more than ready for a shower. All of a sudden, your stomach growls and you’re torn. Do you make the trek to the dining hall pre- or post-shower?

If you want to wait until you look (and feel) a little more alive before you brave the crowded Saturday morning dining hall rush, you could grab a Clif or Luna bar… but those get old pretty quickly (plus, that’s depleting your afternoon snack supply). Here’s a short list of post-work out snacks you can make (Thursday night baking, anyone?) and grab just before you jump in the shower…and still make it to the dining hall after.

1. Peanut butter chocolate chip banana muffin

Between the protein-packed peanut butter and the supperfood that is banana, this muffin will have you re-energized almost immediately. The chocolate chips are mostly just for taste (and if you don’t want them, the muffins will be plenty good without them). Having a batch of these on hand is perfect for the post-workout haze, tasty and energizing.

2. Espresso chai “milkshake”

Ok this one does require a blender, but if you’re lucky, your dorm’s kitchen has one! It’s got a quick shot of caffeine and is Greek yoghurt-based for the long-term effect. It’s a good kickstart to your day if you have a little extra time and motivation—it will definitely re-energize after your workout.

3. Salted caramel, banana, oats, and almond cookies

These also double as a great, early class breakfast option to grab just before you head out the door. The recipe calls for dates but you can definitely replace them with raisins—and vanilla extract will do for the vanilla paste. The raisins and banana add just the right amount of sweetness while the oats will give you that extra boost to get through your shower and to the dining hall.

4. Nice cream

Bananas are superfoods. Seriously, they do everything. On top of being super good for you, they also manage to have just the right make-up to replace almost all your favorite vices. When mixed with eggs, they can make a low-calorie, potassium-filled pancake and when frozen and blended, they make a custard-like mixture that closely resembles ice cream. If you want more flavor, you can basically add anything to make it taste the way you want (cocoa powder, peanut butter, and cinnamon are all popular choices).

5. Bananas, peanut butter, and M&Ms

If you’re feeling a little bit lazy, just cut up a banana and stick it in a bowl with a little bit of peanut butter and some M&Ms. It’s a quick, flavorful snack that will definitely give you the energy boost you need. If you’re feeling a little bit more motivated, you can make a mini peanut butter sandwich with the banana, but that’s certainly not required.  

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Sources: 1, 2, 3

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Caelin is a sophomore who is currently majoring in English with a supplementary major in Irish language and a minor in Journalism, Ethics, and Democracy. She is originally from Missoula, Montana (and believes that Montana actually is one of the best places on earth—even if there's only a million [human] residents). She is a little bit in love with all things Irish (mostly those things from Ireland itself, though she's a pretty big fan of the Fighting Irish too). She loves baking, New Girl, Criminal Minds, and reading. You can find her on Twitter (@caelin_miltko) and Instagram (@cmiltko).