Post-Holiday Exercise: 5 Ways to Stay Motivated

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

It’s that time of year again. That first week or so after the holiday season, when parents return to work, younger siblings return to school, and everyone returns to their normal lives. However you, the lonely college student, are left at home, forgotten like the itchy, unclaimed Christmas sweater left under the tree. You look around the house at the last remnants of holiday decorations. Once so festive, they now appear out of place and foreign in the wake of the New Year. Even the tall jubilant Christmas tree lays cold and dejected in the street. As you rummage through a tin of broken, stale cookie crumbles, you grin and congratulate yourself on having finished the tin all by yourself. With some self-satisfaction you resume your place on the couch and suddenly, come face to face with a long forgotten friend: your sneakers. You groan and look down realizing that you are a few pounds “jollier” than when you came home for the holidays. Suddenly the celebrations are over and the holiday hangover sets in.

Remain calm and don’t panic! It is possible to get out of this holiday rut and get your butt back in shape! After all, you want to fit into that shapeless winter parka that will flatter your new figure so well. Think of it like a game, or a challenge, that starts as soon as you hit the bottom of this page.

1. Get up

We all know that when that alarm goes off the very last thing on our minds is “YES TIME TO GET UP!” However, if you do get moving, you’ll be happier in the long run. You’ve probably heard that exercising earlier in the morning makes you more productive, reduces scheduling conflicts and jump starts metabolism, making you burn more calories (and if you haven’t then there you go, those are three proven facts), but paradoxically it also creates better sleep habits. Also if you’re new to the gym and have workout-machine-anxiety, getting to the gym early when it’s less crowded, will allow you to make a fool out of yourself in front of a smaller audience. It’s really a win-win situation. Motivate yourself to get up by rewarding yourself with an awesome recovery breakfast. There is no shame in using the Pavlov’s dogs approach and good food to get yourself moving in the morning.

2.  Gear up

Sometimes the best way to get motivated is to buy some awesome new gear to flaunt at the gym. It’s hard to justify those $80 Lulu lemon leggings, but wearing them at least five times a week to the gym, you can easily get your moneys worth. If that’s not quite in your budget, why not check out Marshalls or TJ Maxx where you can get about 40 outfits for the price of one pair of Lulu leggings? #Maxxinista Either way: Look good, feel good, workout good. Right?

3.  Get out

So you have finally decided to take the plunge and go workout! Instead of waiting in line for that new age elliptical, so you can simulate bouncing across the moon, why not return to your roots for some fresh air? The NY Times reports that those who exercise outside are happier, work harder and are more motivated to workout more. There’s also the fact that exercising outside will expose you to some glorious sunshine! You’ll get a nice healthy glow that you won’t achieve from the din of the workout room and you will get a better workout. Also, when outside, you get to experience the aesthetic pleasures of nature. So find the nearest park and hit up the trails.

4.  GOT GOALS?

Today almost everything we do is goal oriented. You don’t study just because you feel like it. You don’t take exams because you like the thrill of cramming and anxiety (if you do, then I stand corrected). You do all these things in preparation for some greater goal. So do the same thing for your workout. Maybe it’s a road race, a half marathon, being able to do 40 pushups, winning an arm wrestling contest, or just looking incredible in that tight denim onsie you just bought from Urban. Whatever motivates you, make sure you find something to work towards.

5.  Get connected and keep track

Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr, Instagram, pick your poison. Let’s face it, it’s likely you’re constantly posting or reading some form of social media. You know you enjoy getting likes or retweets on your posts, so why not seek this same kind of gratification by posting your workouts? Having others symbolically applaud your workout efforts, whether it is through a favorite or a like, gives you recognition for your efforts. In addition it is a great way to keep track of your own progress. So maybe it’s not the same as having a drill sergeant personal trainer, but even getting a like from that crazy aunt who is a little too trigger happy with the Facebook comments, can go a long way.

So now that you’ve finished reading this article, relax, take a deep breath and get moving. After all, you have less than 12 months before next year’s holiday season begins…

Photos 1, 2, 3, 4

Hannah Eckstein is a junior at Notre Dame from NJ. She's majoring in international economics and Spanish and minoring in international development. She fully considers herself a Jersey girl, and spends the majority of her free time at the beach. Despite a passion for athletics, she is hopelessly uncoordinated and therefor finds her athletic outlet in long distance running on the Notre Dame cross country and track teams. When she's not running or blogging, she is most likely doing yoga, attempting to learn the ukulele, baking, or watching Sherlock. In the future she aspires to write for a publication like Outside Magazine or National Geographic, become a yoga instructor, and learn to speak french.
Katie Fusco

Notre Dame

A senior English and American Studies double major at the University of Notre Dame, Katie is passionate about media, education, and public history.