Portugal: A Broke College Student’s Paradise

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Like many other college students out there, I have recently caught the travel bug.  This wanderlust could be due to the fact “Polar Vortex” has recently worked its way into my lexicon of commonly used phrases. I have taken to gazing longingly at Instagram photos of friends studying abroad. Even though I would far prefer to be relaxing on a beach in the Seychelles than participating in the Polar Bear Plunge, I believe that my desire to travel goes far beyond the fact that I am tired of the frigid South Bend winter. 

I want to travel so I can see what is out there. I want to learn to cook in Italy, wander through a crowded market in Morocco, witness an African sunset, visit Buddhist temples in Bhutan, and know when to kiss on one cheek or two in Europe. I want to do all of this and more, and I think that I am not alone in this sentiment. 

There is just one pesky problem: travel is expensive. Teleportation isn’t real (yet? I can hope), hotels can cost a small fortune per night, and college students don’t tend to be rolling in cash. Even so, I don’t think this should hold us back. Luckily, college has this pretty awesome thing called Study Abroad. If you are studying abroad in Europe, or plan to, travel options are endless. Unfortunately, Europe can be twice as expensive as any trip in the U.S. if you don’t plan it right. 

An amazingly cheap option right now is Portugal. What used to be a big fancy empire is now oftentimes referred to as “the country next to Spain.” Since it is a lesser known destination, and is struggling through tough economic times, prices have remained low despite the country’s sweeping beauty.

Ryan Air is a cheap option. We have all heard a lot of Ryan Air horror stories. However, if you pack (very) lightly, you can get to and from Portugal from most places in Europe for about $100 or even less if you plan your booking right.  In terms of costs during your trip, go the hostel route if you want to keep a low budget. Hostels (shared rooms are cheaper) in Lisbon can cost as little as $10 dollars per night and $15 per night in Lagos. 

Once you arrive in Portugal, there are an array of choices for your trip. Start by going to Lisbon, one of the chillest capital cities in Europe. You can watch a Fado performance and then wander the cobblestoned streets of Alfama to see the traditional side of the country. 

If surfing is your thing, check out Lagos on the coast. It is known to be one of the best surfing destinations in Europe. And after you (attempt to) surf all day, Lagos is known for having some of the best nightlife in Portugal with clubs staying open till dawn. So order yourself a rum punch because you deserve it. 

So what is holding you back? If you get to Europe, go to Portugal, have the time of your life, and seem all cultured and unique to your friends back home.