This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

One problem has brought politics near and dear to the Notre Dame student’s heart: the graduation debate. Pre-election, I was vehemently against the idea that we shouldn’t invite the newly elected president, but I was in the majority of students who voted for the Democratic candidate. Now, with my assumption proving untrue, I had to confront this possible reality, thankfully without the problem of it being my own graduation. With Jenkins’s statement on the first travel ban, it seemed clear that an invitation would not be issued to the current president.

Well, technically I was correct. But, university politicking resulted in the VP, former governor of Indiana, being invited instead. This was a ‘middle of the road’ choice, aimed at pleasing all sides. Pick a Catholic, associated with the administration who in theory does not evoke the same vitriol as the president. Many students are now making their voices heard, defending the choice or informing  their students about Pence’s more controversial policies. The compromise was not one, as it praises an administration that we had previously condemned, and isn’t enough for the hardline conservatives who like the new president.

This has happened before, to some degree. My coworkers have told me of the massive backlash against inviting Obama to speak at commencement in 2009. There were protests, a plane with a banner, and many many demonstrations related to his pro-choice position. However, that is a part of the Democratic platform, however much it is disliked.

Another report I heard was that there is literally an option for “Obama to be given an honorary degree” when donors halted or decreased their donations to the university. So, the university’s move this time around is complicated by that last occurrence.

Anger was felt most strongly from the LGBTQ+ students and groups at Notre Dame.  My peers reported feeling ignored and disrespected by our university, which has groups like PRISM, a great Gender Studies department, and even posters in dorms educating about gender identity. (I am very glad those are back up, especially after the recent Supreme Court pass on hearing a bathroom case.) I see the little safe space cards with rainbows on the doors of every hall staff member, and ally pins and shirts across campus. I have not heard students advocating for fewer rights for their LGBTQ+ peers, and rarely have I heard what would be a traditionally conservative Christian viewpoint uttered. The atmosphere here is radically different. We are an institute of higher learning, of meeting new people and new views. This goes both ways, but I have always seen this result in a greater empathy and desire for equality. When we invite a speaker who has voted against equality legislation and against hate crime prevention acts, we act as if we learned nothing from living in the world in 2016 and respecting our peers.

The most practical response to this announcement has come from We StaND For, the Notre Dame activism group that sprung up in response to the election results.  They have written up fact sheets about Pence’s harmful politics, and were engaging with students and faculty in LaFun and on Facebook. They have had other demonstrations regarding the first travel ban, and are trying to engage Notre Dame students and ensure we are not trapped in the ND bubble.

Lastly, I heard seniors speak about refusing to let this impact their graduation. They had no say in the speaker and regardless of their opinion on Pence, he will be here.  Even those that are disappointed, hurt and angered state that they have one counter to this decision: they will enjoy their commencement anyway.  

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Images 1, 2, 3

Julia Erdlen

Notre Dame

I'm a junior living in Ryan Hall. Majoring in English and minoring in Science, Technology, and Values, and Computing and Digital Technologies. I'm from just outside of Philadelphia, and people tend to call out my accent. In the free time I barely have, I'm consuming as much superhero media and as many YA novels as pssible.