Our Country’s Drinking Culture: The Big 2-1

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

My twentieth year: it was the best of times, it was the worst of times…

Being 20 is the most depressing age, in my opinion. You’re no longer a teenager, but you still can’t legally drink, rent a car, or get a hotel room. What’s the point? The inbetween-ness is exhausting. You want to be taken seriously as an adult, but every time you tell someone you’re 20 they respond with “Oh my gosh, you’re so young!” I don’t feel young. I feel as if I should have everything figured out. News flash: I do not. 

To make matters worse, junior year with a late birthday is possibly the most frustrating situation. Why is that, you ask? Well, of course, the drinking age. In the United States of America, the legal drinking age is 21 (duh). Last semester, all I wanted to do was celebrate with my friends when they turned 21, but my night was cut short thanks to my lack of legal status. This happened a few times before, mercifully, I went abroad to Italy. 

Yet, perusing all the party pics my beautiful friends have posted from their 21st celebrations has been surprisingly painful. Obviously, I am thrilled to see that they have been livin’ la vita loca for their birthdays, that’s not the problem. The problem is accepting the fact that even if I had been in the country to celebrate with them, I would not have been able to celebrate with them. Or at least not to the extent I would have liked. (That extent being Clover Quarts to Feve, and everything in between…) 

Nerds Strawberry Mojito that I totally didn’t order at Dylan’s Candy Bar in NYC

Now, I will be celebrating my big birthday in a country where I have been legal to drink for three years already. I feel slightly cheated. There’s no hype. There’s no pageantry. There’s no South Bend cabs to take my sorry butt home for $3 at 4am. This is a bit disappointing, as I can guarantee no one will be excited about my 22nd birthday. 

But, hey, don’t the Italians have a more sane view of and attitude toward alcohol anyway? I would argue they do. The atmosphere surrounding booze is so much more chill and sensible than it is in the States. A glass of wine with dinner – a glass of wine with lunch – what’s the difference? No one is driving! (Another MAJOR perk of living in this country.) Drinking with your parents, drinking with your grandparents, drinking with your little cousins – it’s all the same. What this culture defines as “drinking” is entirely different than what college students at Notre Dame consider “drinking.” “Drinking” in Italy is not pounding shots, puking in bushes, or getting too wasted to walk home. It’s not needing alcohol to talk to people, or depending on it in order to have a good night. “Drinking” is only a small part of a social gathering in which people manage to dance, laugh, and converse while still remembering everyone they talked to the next morning. Viewing the activity of drinking in this way makes me feel very lucky to be celebrating such an important birthday in such a laid-back place. 

#classy

What makes me feel even more lucky is that I get to celebrate with my entire family, as they will be visiting me just in time for the big 2-1! What a blessing to have my dad pick out some really nice wine at a really nice dinner and to celebrate my 21st birthday alongside my sister’s 23rd and my little brother’s belated 18th! 

All in all, I feel the stigma that surrounds alcohol in the US is in need of a face lift. Alcohol is not the problem. That’s not to say it can’t cause problems, but overall, alcohol by itslef is not what creates issues. The idea that alcohol frees all inhibitions and woes, the idea that drinking makes you cool and attractive, and the idea that doing something illegal is okay because everyone else is doing it and it isn’t hurting anyone are the problem. Let’s reexamine how we think about alcohol and reintroduce ourselves to a healthier attitude about it. 

Pictures provided by author

For more collegiette journalism, follow HCND on Twitter and like us on Facebook

Sara Spitt

Notre Dame

Meet HCND's current Campus Coordinator and Editor-in-Chief! Originally from outside of Chicago, Sara is a Senior Peace Studies, Theology, and Italian major at Notre Dame (yes, that is three majors; no, she doesn't have any free time). When she isn't painting her nails, Sara enjoys cooking vegetarian friendly dishes, taking pictures for The Dome yearbook, and reading for fun. Sara began writing for Her Campus Notre Dame in May of 2013 and quickly fell in love with the site and it's staff! After writing for the inagural editorial staff (shout-out to AnnaLee, Katie, and Lex!) for a semester, Sara decided to branch out and become an editor. She particularly enjoys doing interviews and sharing travel expereinces, as well as connecting with the HCND reader network through thought-provoking social commentaries. If you like what you read from her on a weekly basis, this self-proclaimed "Queen of Social Media" has several accounts for you to follow - twitter, instagram (@saraspit22), tumblr, and a blog!