The Other F-Word: Feminism

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

I have been labeled as feminist about five times this semester alone (yes, I keep a mental tally), not only by my friends, but also by people I hardly know. I cringed at the suggestion that I be associated with bra burning radicals of past decades and men-hating stereotypes many associate with a movement based around women’s equal rights.

What makes me a feminist though? I assume it may be associated with my refusal to remain idle and live the passive life of urban females, or possibly my aura of independence and intimidation I vainly hope I emit.

More so it may be my general disinterest in appearing 100 percent put together on a daily basis (Because the number one telltale sign of a feminist is sloppy appearance, right?).

While I’ll admit, I cannot remember the last time I’ve brushed my hair, I haven’t shaved my legs in over month and I have gone to class without a bra or makeup on and a variation of foreign substances in my hair more than a few times this semester, it was not for the sake of feminism (The detail in that sentence was TMI, please forgive me). I’m just extremely lazy and my general fashion style is sloppy with a side of apathy and that has nothing to do with being a feminist.

Feminism is so much more than the aforementioned indicators. It is about equality. Being a feminist means being able to make personal life decisions without the fear of the patriarchy inhibiting you and demanding the equal respect of your equally intelligent—if not less—male conterparts.

Down with the patriarchy!

Woah, “patriarchy”, that dirty word us feminists love to throw around. For those of you who are unaware, a patriarchy revolves around the ideals that there are set gender roles in society that should not be diverged from lest chaos ensue. Men should be the sole providers of their households and the sole authority. Only men can be president because women are too emotional and womanly. Women should revert to standard feminine roles and be subordinate to their loving and providing husbands. We owe them, because without men we would be lonely cat women.

Being a feminist is realizing that women being paid 77 cents to every dollar men make is anything but fair. Feminism is about doing what you want to do when you want to and not worrying about displeasing others. It’s realizing that we dress for ourselves and not for the men that assume our every action is made to benefit them.

It’s being able to have the simple choice of abortion but never considering for yourself. It’s being able to breastfeed in public without having to worry about offending prudish people at Cost Plus World Market, cue my super cool cousin who did just that. 

I am a feminist.

It doesn’t mean that I don’t fall into certain gender roles. I love the color pink, I am feminine, and more often than not my greatest goal is to raise a family of my own and maybe even be a stay-at-home mom at some point in my life. I love to bake and cook and clean. To be honest I’m the perfect catch of a woman. #wifeymaterial

That does not make me any less of a feminist. I am making a conscious choice, and that’s the point. I recognize the patriarchal roles I am expected to fulfill. Despite my fulfillment of said roles, I am still a feminist. My mere consciousness of my role as a woman in society is enough.

But still, there is a great difference between being a white feminist and a feminist of color. As mentioned before, women are paid less than men in almost every field. What’s even scarier is the fact that women of color are paid even less than white women in the same exact fields. We are a double minority, as much as I hate that term.

But no matter if you are Black, White, Asian, or Latina, YOU ARE A FEMINIST. Don’t deny it, accept it gurrrl! I would argue the mere attendance of college is reason enough to call yourself a feminist. By taking control of your life and demanding a life of education and knowledge rather than passive ignorance, you are a feminist. Your refusal to remain passive and allow men to stick to the big corporate jobs they have historically held, you are going for it.

You female CHEGG majors are killin’ it. Future lawyers, politicians, doctors, journalists (and maybe even clergywomen), work it girls. All you arkies, I see you, future Fran(cine) Lloyd Wright. You get that degree, and take those jobs from the men that said you couldn’t. Because anything they can do, we can do better.

Throwback Thursday!

I hope I did not give off an air of misandry, because men can be feminist too. Like I reiterated so many times before, feminism is about freedom. It’s not about hating men and refusing to marry. Not all feminists are lesbians.  Not all lesbians are feminists. Ladies, you can love men, chivalry and all of that and still be a feminist. So, work it, gurrl.

For more colliegette journalism, follow HCND on Twitter and like us on Facebook!

Photos 1, 2

Kat L

Notre Dame

Katrina Linden is an American Studies and Latino Studies Double Major. When she's not drinking coffee or sleeping, she's running HCND with her co-CC, assissting the director of Undergraduate Studies at the Institute for Latino Studies, or pretending to work at NDH. Message her at katrinalinden@hercampus.com if you're interested in writing for HCND.