The Oscars Rundown

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Unless you live under a rock, you are well aware that this past weekend was the 88th Academy Awards, better known as The Oscars. There was a lot of build up this year, and a lot definitely went down during the show. It was a show for the history books, and in case you missed it, I will break it down for you.

Leo finally won his Oscar:

I am sure you already knew this because there are more memes out there about Leo getting his new best friend than there are of “Damn Daniel” and “Steve Harvey” combined. It has been 23 years in the making, but he finally secured the golden man. It is important to note that he walked the red carpet with Kate Winslet (Jack and Rose forever), he brought his mom as he date (*swoon*), and his speech ended with an important warning about climate change. You go Leo!

Chris Rock addressed the White Elephant in the Room:

This year’s Oscars received a lot of backlash because of the lack of diverse nominations for the second year in the row. #OscarsSoWhite has been circulating the interwebs for some time and Chris Rock, this year’s host, did a great job by taking the issue straight on from the get go. He did not hold back, and we are thankful for it.

Stacey Dash wins for most awkward on stage statement ever:

I will leave the video here. But honestly who hired her? I didn’t realize she was relevant or popular enough to earn a spot on the stage. V awkward. I cringe ever time I watch it. Chrissy Teigen’s face says it all.

Lady Gaga’s Performance gave everyone Goosebumps:

We all go to Notre Dame, so we are all very aware of the issues with Sexual Assult. Lady Gaga gave an incredible performance of “Till it Happens to You” from The Hunting Ground, in which many sexual assault survivors joined her on stage to stand together. Although, Lady Gaga lost the Oscar to Sam Smith, she definitely won best performance of the year.

Alejandro Iñárritu wins 2 years in a row:

Iñárritu has become the 3rd ever director in the History of the Academy Awards to win Best Director two years in a row. It is the first time since 1950. He directed The Revenant, which won this year and Birdman, which won last year. He is an incredible forced to be reckoned with. I cannot wait to see what he comes out with next!

Girl Scout Cookies made an appearance:

You can ooh and aww all over the dresses that strutted the red carpet, but all I was concerned with was the girl scout cookies that were sold during the show. If celebrities buying girl scout cookies doesn’t prove they are humans just like you and me, I don’t know what will. Also Morgan Freeman swooped in at the last moment, took two cookies from Chris Rock, and swaggered off stage. Morgan Freeman is the man. That is all.

Hope this helped wrapped up this year Oscars and may Leo Oscar memes rest in peace!

XOXO 

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Hannah Dunn

Notre Dame

Hannah Dunn is a sophomore Marketing and Film, Television and Theater major at ND. Born and raised in Westchester, NY, Hannah loves to lax it up with the Women's Club Lacrosse Team, but is never opposed to a Netflix and chill. If you need a good Ben and Jerry's ice cream recommendation be sure to ask her.