Notre Dame’s Declassified: Spring Break Survival Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

The middle of winter always stinks. Not only because it is 0° outside and I get wind burn on my face everytime I walk down South Quad, but because we are halfway between winter break and spring break. We are no longer running into friendly faces and enlightening them on that awesome ski trip during break or clarifying if we got our cool new sweater for Christmas. And yet we aren’t quite packing for our tropical getaway (even if that getaway is to your home in Minnesota), but that doesn’t mean we can’t start preparing! Just the anticipation has got me excited! For any vacation I think think preparing and thinking ahead of time makes it so much more fun, and it also helps to get through this rough winter and those midterm tests.

1. Start planning your outfits

Although it may sound silly considering we still have about two weeks, it can never hurt. No matter how old I am, I will always love planning out outfits for something I am excited about. When I lay my head down at night I love to think about what I am going to wear the next day, but what is even more fun is planning the outfits I’m going to bring on a trip I’m excited for, regardless of where I am going. I’m forced to wear 19 layers of insulated gear here just to ensure I don’t freeze my butt off on my way to my class in DBart, so just thinking about the idea that I get to wear shorts in two weeks gets me all giddy.

2. Get your workout on!

This may be one of the few cases where I want to workout. I actually thoroughly enjoy going on a fitness kick before vacation because I know that there is a light at the end of the tunnel and when I actually get to Spring Break I will have some much needed rest and relaxation. I also feel so good about myself when I workout and have end goal: which is being happy and healthy, and most importantly feeling good about myself on vacation. Even if it is like 5 minutes a day, working out really does boost the endorphins and help to feel good. Here’s my favorite 8 minute ab video. I am pretty sure it’s from 1990 based on the outfits and music, but I find it hilarious and my abs hurt after so I think it works, if not at least I get a good laugh.

3. Do your research

There is nothing better than planning for something you’re excited for. If you are going skiing, look up the resort, read reviews, or look up the weather. If you are going to a tropical place, check out some Google earth pictures, plan activities, and looking up the weather for this scenario probably will give you a little boost of happiness. And even if you are headed home for some much needed R&R, look into some good books to read, or ask around for a TV show you could binge watch on Netflix. No matter where you are going planning ahead will get you excited and help you through these tough few weeks.    

4. Survive.

You are almost there. That is all you have to keep telling yourself. Light is shining at the end of the tunnel and you can almost touch it. When you are really stressed out and you think you won’t be able to make it through your midterms or you don’t think you are able to get out of your bed in the morning because it is literally 1° outside and that is just too much of a hassle for you, just think that you have less than 3 weeks until break and those 3 weeks will quickly turn into 1 week, 5 days, 1 day and look at that you’re now on spring break!

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us and show our Instagram some love!. 

Images: 1, 2, 3

Videos: 1

Hannah Dunn

Notre Dame

Hannah Dunn is a sophomore Marketing and Film, Television and Theater major at ND. Born and raised in Westchester, NY, Hannah loves to lax it up with the Women's Club Lacrosse Team, but is never opposed to a Netflix and chill. If you need a good Ben and Jerry's ice cream recommendation be sure to ask her.