photo of corn field
photo of corn field
Aaron Burden/Unsplash

A Notre Dame Girl’s Prayer of Thanksgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

As college students, we are many things: the good, the bad, and yes, even the downright ugly. And towards the end of the semester, with the pressure of grades and finals, we tend to lose ourselves to our worst. We’re selfish because we need to be. No one else will look out for us the way we would do for ourselves. We get caught up in the trivial things because really that chemistry exam tomorrow does, at the moment, seem like a life-or-death matter. And along the way of the semester, you slowly lose sight of all that you’re grateful for. But that’s why we have the holiday season. Yes, Thanksgiving and Christmas entails many things, among them commercialism, food babies, traditions, family, but at the heart of it all is giving thanks. Because even though it can be easy to get tripped up in the college chaos, I really have so much to be grateful for at Notre Dame.

I am thankful to go to a place where I don’t only live for the weekends. I can find joy on the weekdays too. I am thankful for having a football team worth cheering for and a student section that is proud to stand behind them no matter the score.

I am thankful to live in a community that where on my worst days, I could always turn to my faith to feel better. I am thankful for my best classes that led me to my major and even the tears and frustration put into my worst because it made me a better student. 

I am thankful for the nights I knew I had a guardian angel watching over me because I wasn’t even watching out for myself. For the kind, patient cab drivers, for the strangers that turned into friends, and even the friends that faded into strangers.  

I am thankful for the ones who tore me down because it gave someone the chance to help build me back up again. I am thankful for the friends who taught me that even though I may screw up, I could never be a screw up. And for the chances I’ve had to prove myself as a friend to others.

Most importantly, I am thankful for Notre Dame and my becoming a member of this legend. I am thankful for this school, sanctuary, and home it’s become. 

This Thanksgiving season I pray that we remember the good in spite of the bad.  I hope you view your challenges through the filter of your blessings and will treat each trial as an opportunity to grow.  And above all, never take for granted one of the best aspects of your life—you are ND.

Follow the HCND Pinterest account, and remember to keep posted with HCND on TwitterInstagram, and Facebook!

Images 1 (ndchicago.org), 2 (courtesy of author), 3 (tours.nd.edu), 4 (dailydomer.nd.edu)

(cue typical college student intro) Natalie is a freshman from Notre Dame studying business and journalism.  She is originally from Kansas City, Kansas, aka the land of Oz.  She willingly admits that her inner monologue is narrated by the voice of Kristen Bell, or more commonly recognized as the voice of Gossip Girl (xoxo).  In her spare time in which she is not trying to find a semi-comfortable place to crash for a power nap, she loves to read anything and everything, craft and has the dorm decorations to prove it, plan out her outfits a week in advanced, make coffee runs at any time of day, and last, but never least, hang out with her friends.  She is so lucky to have found a family at Her Campus and finally, Love Thee, HCND!