This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving and got some Black Friday (or perhaps Small Business Saturday) shopping in. Here are some of this week’s headlines:

Brussels remains on alert after a terrorist threat last week

As of Wednesday, the capital city of Belgium has slowly begun reopening after a four-day lockdown. Universities, schools, and transport system were ordered to close or, in the case of many hospitals, shut down everything other than emergency departments. Many arrests have been made in and around Brussels following the attacks on Paris, and the Belgian police have since launched their own terrorist investigations.

A Chicago police officer was charged with the first-degree murder of teenager Laquan McDonald

After over a year of silence, dash cam footage has been released, showing Officer Jason Van Dyke shooting 17-year-ols Laquan McDonald. McDonald was reportedly holding a small knife and walking away from the police when Van Dyke opened fire, shooting the teen 16 times. Footage shows that the shooting took place for about 15 seconds, while McDonald was on the ground after only 2 seconds. Van Dyke turned himself in Tuesday morning.

Pope Francis took his first trip to Africa

The Pope visited slums in Kenya and spoke with locals about gangs, ethnic divisions, and corruption. In Nairobi, corporate developers are taking more and more land while children go without schooling and entire communities lack plumbing and waste services. In a massive, packed stadium, the Pope spoke against “new forms of colonialism, which would make African countries parts of a machine, cogs on a gigantic wheel.” Friday he traveled to Uganda, and he will finish his journey Sunday in the Central African Republic.

5 people were shot at a protest in Minneapolis following the death of Jamar Clark

Clark was shot by a police officer following a domestic violence call on Nov. 15, and was declared brain dead shortly afterward. The Minneapolis NAACP has called for the prosecution and firing of any officers involved, and the incident has sparked large protests around the city. These protests have been largely peaceful, until 4 men shot 5 protesters Monday night. The violence occurred after the suspects posted racially disparaging messages on social media. All 4 have been apprehended by police, and peaceful protests have continued since.

Check back soon for another weekly update. HCNDXO!

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4

Editor-in-Chief of HCND from 2016-2018.