This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

An open letter to everyone who’s been a Belieber since the beginning,

Okay, I’ll be honest. I never was a Justin Beiber fan. In fact, I laughed at the girls who were obsessed with him. And there were plenty. You probably know the ones I’m talking about- life size cutouts in their rooms, the occasional social media rant about how in they love they are with their future husband, the kids who wore purple all the time, just because it was Justin’s favorite color. To me, they were on the same level of coolness as creepy thirteen year old boys who post shirtless mirror pics with #thegrind and #comeatmeladies. Sure, when “Baby” played at middle school dances, I sang the words with the rest of them (at a respectable space away from boys—gotta leave room for the holy spirit). But I remember my grandmother asking what Beiber Fever was, because apparently all of the children were infected. Of course I denied it-what kind of company did she think I was keeping?

Then I listened to Purpose, and now I’m a Belieber… (think this sentence in the Shrek-“Saw Her Face” song tune.) I think that my jaw dropped when I put his album on shuffle—the soulful voice that began blaring out of my speakers was absolutely not what I was expecting. Mark my words, no longer the baby-faced, skinny, purple hoodie wearing, hair flipping child of yesterday, ( I’ll show you below:)

…Justin is a man now, and life is worth living.

Side note: who eats fondue by the fire…and is it really a date food??

So I guess some of us owe you guys an apology. Where are you now? Is it too late now to say “Sorry” for thinking we were way cooler and mature than you because we listened to T-Payne and Akon instead of the Beibs? We’re sorry for all the ‘Justin Beiber sings like a girl jokes’. We’re almost (not quite) sorry for laughing until we cried when he was roasted on Comedy Central. Shoutout to Shaquille O’Neal for delivering this burn: “Last year you were ranked the fifth most hated person of all time. Kim Jong-un didn’t even score that low, and he uses your music to torture people.” You can finally say you told us so. You were there from the beginning and all of just had no sense. And you know what? It feels good to finally Belieb in something and someone real.

We should have realized that he was there the whole time and had a little trust that he would grow up so gloriously. As new Beleiber Molly Lanahan so eloquently put it, “His new songs just really resonate with me. Now that he hit puberty his voice just sounds so lit ya know?” Justin Beiber is here to stay, so get used to it.

And to all of the people who still won’t admit that they Belieb: you can go love yourselves.

Sincerely,

The New Beliebers

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Images: 1, 2, 3456

Hi everyone, I'm Marie! I am a freshman at the University of Notre Dame studying English with a possible double minor in Design and Journalism. I hail from Jacksonville, Florida, home of the Jacksonville Jaguars, lots of beaches, and winters that don't get worse than 40 degrees (apparently I'm in for a shock). I take pride in being a purple weasel from Pasquerilla West(peace, love, pdub:). I have unhealthy obsessions with watching sunsets, inspirational quotes, Friends (the tv show and my actual friends), running, drinking coffee, the beach, and of course, all things Notre Dame. I'm so happy to have found a home under the dome!