Never Forget: 12 Years Since 9.11.01

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

On the 12th anniversary of the September 11th attacks, we are all called to remember the events of that day and to cherish every day we live as Americans. Never forget 9.11.01.

Every person in the nation was affected by these attacks, regardless of location or age.  Notre Dame’s community was certainly not an exception. Many members and extended members of hte Notre Dame family fell victim to the terrorist attacks on this eerie September day.

On September 11, 2011, the Notre Dame community gathered for a mass of remembrance on Library Quad. Watch Monk Malloy’s homily from this mass here

This Notre Dame Magazine article highlights the early reactions of the Notre Dame community to the tragedy in 2001. In 2011, the University Archives published a blog post remembering the campus reaction in 2001.

On the afternoon of September 11, 2001, approximately 7,000 individuals congregated on the South Quad to celebrate mass in memory of the victims of that morning’s attacks.

“The attacks of September 11th were intended to break our spirit.  Instead we have emerged stronger and more unified. We feel renewed devotion to the principles of political, economic, and religious freedom, the rule of law and respect for human life. We are more determined than ever to live our lives in freedom.” – Rudolph Giuliani, former mayor of New York City.

“When I look out the window, I exhale a prayer of thanks for the color green, for my children’s safety, for the simple acts of faith like planting a garden that helped see us through another spring, another summer. And I inhale some kind of promise to protect my kids’ hopes and good intentions we began within this country. Freedom of speech, the protection of diversity – these are the most important ingredients of American civil life and my own survival. If I ever took them for granted, I don’t know.” – Barbara Kingsolver, American novelist

Photo

Katie Fusco

Notre Dame

A senior English and American Studies double major at the University of Notre Dame, Katie is passionate about media, education, and public history.