This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

I would like to think that I am a big movie buff. I have an odd repertoire of favorite titles that spans from Spy Kids 3: Game Over to The Shawshank Redemption, and everything in between. Films provide an escape from reality and the stresses of life. Although it can be hard for some people to commit two hours of their time watching a film, I have comprised a list of some of my go-to movies to watch during our 10-week break. 

movie theater with people
Photo by Krists Luhaers from Unsplash

Moonlight (Netflix)

This film is everything. The cinematography is stunning and the story really pulls at your heartstrings. It is split into three “chapters,” each of which follow Chiron, a young black man growing up in Miami. The coming-of-age film follows Chiron during his ongoing struggle with identity and sexuality. It is a must-watch for me. 

The Peanut Butter Falcon (Hulu or Amazon Prime)

The title can throw some people off, but once you give this movie a chance, you will not be disappointed. The movie tells the story of Zak, a young man with down syndrome, as he spontaneously pursues his pro-wrestler dreams. Did I mention Shia LeBeouf plays the role of Zak’s best friend? It is the perfect feel-good movie to watch with your family. 

La La Land (Hulu)

Where do I start? I can put this movie on anytime and anywhere, and it never seems to get old. In the film, Sebastian (Ryan Gosling *heart eyes*) and Mia (Emma Stone *also heart eyes*) navigate the balance between their loving relationship and their dreams. It tells the story of so many of the dreamers that find themselves in Los Angeles, struggling to build connections while simultaneously pursuing their careers. The film has song and dance, which is a major plus in my mind. 

Molly’s Game (Netflix) 

Want a movie about a badass woman? Then this film is the perfect one for you. Molly’s Game tells the true story of Molly Bloom, whose life path switched from Olympic skier to poker powerhouse. Basically, using her genius mind, Molly Bloom was able to create the most exclusive poker game in the world, however, she soon becomes a target of the FBI, leading her down a messy path of betrayal and bad tabloids. 

Do the Right Thing (Hulu)

An “oldie” but a goodie, Spike Lee’s Do the Right Thing depicts the neighborhood of Bed-Stuy in Brooklyn on the hottest day of the year. As the temperature rises, so do the tensions in the neighborhood, as violence and racism soon consumes the Brooklyn neighborhood. This thought-provoking movie provides a powerful visual of the persistence of racism and the violence that can ensue.

Shutter Island (Hulu)

Leonardo. DiCaprio. If that does not make you immediately turn on the movie, then the mind-bending aspects of mystery and thrill will. The movie takes place in 1954 and follows a U.S. Marshal in his investigation of a murderer-runaway from an insane asylum. The secluded hospital for the criminally insane begins to play with the investigator’s mind as he is forced to confront himself. 

Little Miss Sunshine (Hulu)

*Cries* Little Miss Sunshine is a comedy-drama about a family’s journey to get their daughter into a beauty pageant. As they travel across the country in their Volkswagen bus, they unpack different discoveries about themselves, adding to the dysfunctional and quirky vibe of the film. It is heart-warming, yet sad, and overall is an amazing movie about support and confidence. 

Uncut Gems (Netflix)

Warning: you will be STRESSED while watching this movie, but in a good way. Adam Sandler takes on the more-serious role of a jeweller whose clientele consists of rappers and NBA players. The jeweler takes his chances and makes a risky bet so that his enemies and debts can disappear. 

Moneyball (Netflix)

Brad Pitt and Jonah Hill make an unstoppable team in this sports-drama. The general manager of the Oakland A’s, Brad Pitt, is given the difficult task of forming a winning baseball team with a seemingly nonexistent budget. Using Jonah Hill’s computer, the duo recruits players in a unique way, gaining criticism and doubt from the world. 

Crazy Rich Asians (Hulu)

My Mom and I absolutely love this movie. This rom-com follows Rachel Chu on her visit to Singapore to meet her boyfriend’s pretentious family. Rachel is the talk of the town in Singapore and the gossip begins to get to her. Is she good enough for Nick Young, one of Singapore’s most desired bachelors? The movie features an all-Asian cast and displays the power that films possess when they have more representation.

Central Cinema window
Photo by Myke Simon from Unsplash

Holly O'Brien

Notre Dame '23

Hi, I’m Holly! I am a Sophomore at the University of Notre Dame studying Science-Business, as well as Film, Television, and Theatre. Born and raised in South Jersey, I spend my summers down the shore and get to enjoy the close proximity to Philly year-round. I consider myself a movie fanatic, but also enjoy spending time with friends and family.