This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Midterms: the horrific monster standing between you and Fall Break. For STEM majors especially, these few weeks can seem like an insurmountable obstacle. However, before you decide to run away from your responsibilities and sob in a corner, take a peek at these personalized tips designed to help you tame the beast.

Take all of the practice tests

Although it can be time consuming, taking every available practice test is probably the single best way to study for STEM classes. Topics like math and physics can be taught with books, but can only be learned through practice. Taking the practice tests not only gives you sample problems to study off of, but their formats are similar (if not identical) to the real exam. Also, it’s not unheard of for a professor to reuse old questions…

Fill in gaps with the book

If you’re like any rational human, dropping hundreds of dollars on textbooks is not your favorite thing to do. To justify the small fortune you spent, use the book! Even though the language might be overly technical in parts, referencing the textbook is a great way to dive deep into specific explanations of concepts or theorems. If you can master the textbook, you’re going to feel incredibly prepared for the midterm.

Incentivize

Nothing is worse than infinite studying, so make your own light at the end of the tunnel! Plan to break every 45-60 minutes and reward yourself with a small indulgence. Watch the new Sam Smith music video, paint your nails, eat a cookie – whatever you do, make sure it takes your mind off of the material for a few minutes. Not only will these little treats lift your spirits, but they give you the promise of a break, making it easier to stay focused during study time.

Take advantage of resources

The university recognizes the difficulty of STEM material, which is why they’ve set up massive amounts of free resources for us. For First Years, the Learning Resource Center in CoMo offers free tutoring in killers like Gen Chem and Physics, help sessions are constantly being offered in the O’Meara Library in Hayes-Healy, and STEM Ambassadors are conveniently set up in each dorm to help out with last-minute questions. For upperclassmen, groups like Tau Beta Pi offer tutoring for higher-level engineering classes. And, as always, office hours are invaluable.

Create a study team

Some people study best in isolation, and others excel in groups. No matter which category you fall into, there are definite benefits to forming a collection of study buddies. Study groups allow every member to contribute and share their academic strengths, helping everyone learn together in a low-key environment. Not only does this help you meet people in your major, but with your combined knowledge, you’ll create one super-smart mega-student. STEM majors don’t always get labeled with the “social butterfly” stereotype, but if you reach out and connect, you might be surprised how cool and fun (and maybe even normal!) your classmates are.

Relax

Let’s face it – STEM classes are often difficult, demanding, and stressful. Despite this less-than-fortunate reality, you don’t have to let them control you! Your life’s happiness is not going to be determined by a grade on a midterm, so don’t act like it is. As long as you’re putting in an amount of effort that you can be proud of, you are succeeding. Also, employers and graduate schools look for WAY more than GPA, so relax in knowing that there’s less riding on these midterms than you might think.

Good luck and happy studying!

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Madeline is a Junior Computer Science & Psychology dual-degree student from a farm in Iowa. When she's not studying in her Welsh Fam dorm room, she enjoys eating overpriced chips and salsa from the Huddle, practicing for a non-existent "American Idol" audition on her ukulele, and spending an embarrassing amount of time searching for a new Netflix series to commit to.