This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Michigan Weekend.

Sure, every Notre Dame student loves football, but few games have as much excitement and history surrounding them as a Notre Dame-Michigan game. Sadly, the rivalry is coming to a (temporary) end, which has happened before. This will be a game for the history books and YOU will be able to say that you were there when we beat Michigan at home for the last time in the series (it’s always smart to expect a victory). Here’s a list of things to know and do this weekend!

Things to Know:

You may not be an expert on the Notre Dame-Michigan rivalry, but you can impress your friends with these fun facts. Whether you’re a football newbie or a seasoned expert, here are some quick numbers and facts to pull out at tailgates.

1.  Michigan’s Mascot: Wolverines

2.  First Meeting: 1887 (Michigan won the first 8 times we played)

3.  Since 1978, Notre Dame has played Michigan annually, except for breif hiatuses in 1983–84, 1995–96, and 2000–01. There have been several other hiatuses before 1978.

4.  As of 2013, Michigan leads the series 24–16–1.

5.  According to Forbes, this is the most expensive Notre Dame game at Notre Dame since TiqIQ has tracked such ticket prices. (The average price is $419.13 as of September 4).

6.  Notre Dame and Michigan are the two winningest teams in college football.

7.  Before the Notre Dame-Michigan games have gone on hiatus, Notre Dame has always been victorious in the final game of the match up (1909, 1943 and 1989).

8.  We won’t be playing Michigan in the next few years, but we will be playing Michigan’s biggest rival, Ohio State, in 2022 and 2023.

9.  Both teams are coming off of big wins: Notre Dame beat Rice 48-17 and Michigan beat Appalachian State 52-14.

10.  Notre Dame is favored to win by a 3.5 point margin at many Las Vegas casinos.

Things to Do:

Now that you’re a quasi-expert on the Notre Dame-Michigan rivalry, it’s time to know where to be and what to do this weekend. Here are my personal recommendations for a great weekend!

1.  Stadium Tunnel Tour: Friday 10:00am-5:00pm. If walking down the tunnel with the Rudy soundtrack sounding a Notre Dame victory and the National Championship banners waving gently in the wind sounds wonderful that’s because it is. You may be able to take a picture with a jersey, gloves, or a helmet too!

2.  Trumpets Under the Dome:  Friday 4:00pm in the rotunda of the dome. The band is amazing, so go hear them fill the dome with the sound of an Irish win.

3.  Pep Rally: Friday 6:00pm on Library Quad. Show your dorm pride and get fired up for a great weekend. Remember, you only get to stand in the front row for four years, make the most of them!

4.  Men’s Soccer v. Dartmouth: Friday 7:30pm alumni Stadium. Remember how they won a National Championship last year? Go show them some love!

5.  Drummer’s Circle: Midnight (late Friday night/early Saturday) on the steps of the dome. You may not be able to walk up the steps yet, but surrounding the drum line as they play their cadences is a great way to prepare for game day.

6.  Glee Club Pre-Game Concert: Saturday 4:30pm-5:00pm on Library Quad. Come be serenaded by some of Notre Dame’s most talented men.

7.  Player Walk: Saturday 5:15pm from the Gug through Library Quad into the Stadium. You can cheer on your favorite players as they enter the stadium and march onward to victory.

8.  Tailgating: All day Saturday until 30-45 minutes before kickoff. Few things are better than good food (wing dip and brats, anyone?), free booze, and people with a passion for Notre Dame football. Don’t forget to hydrate and bring a coat and sunscreen (be prepared for any kind of weather).

9.  Mass: On Saturday, mass will be held in the Basilica and in Alumni, Dillon, Morrissey, Ryan, Sorin, Keough, and Siegfried at 4:00pm. Basilica mass will also be held on Sunday at 8:00am, 10:00am, and 11:45am, for those of you who want to thank God for a Notre Dame victory.

10.  Bars: Finny’s or the Backer either night. They’re both sure to be packed with alums, but that’s no reason to miss out on sing-alongs at the Backer or cheap beer at Finny’s (for the of age folks, of course).

Follow the HCND Pinterest account, pin with us, and remember to keep posted with HCND on TwitterInstagram, and Facebook!

Images: 1, 2, 34

Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4

Maria Fahs

Notre Dame

Maria is finishing her Masters in English at Notre Dame. She has read many good books and several bad books, but she usually tries not to finish those. Her current favorites are: 1984, The Book Thief, The Tragedy Paper, Code Name Verity, Dr. Copernicus, I Am the Messenger, Alice in Wonderland, Peter Pan, and of course, Harry Potter. She is writing her second thesis on Harry Potter, exploring notions of authorship and reader agency in the digital age. She even managed to write her Capstone on British Children's Literature and designed her own Directed Readings Course on Notre Dame history during undergrad. Her favorite way to read is with a mug of tea and scented candles. When she doesn't have her nose stuck in a book, she can be found binging on the BBC (Downton Abbey, Doctor Who, Sherlock, Merlin [RIP]). Her favorite color is purple, she studied abroad in London, and she enjoys being an amateur painter. She harbors a not-so-secret dream of one day writing a children's book, but until then, she is likely to be found reading them and writing letters whenever she gets a chance. She hopes to teach English or work in a university sharing her love of education.