This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Gowns and glamour are a focal point of any red carpet event, but there’s no event as high-fashion, as prestigious, and as demanding of creativity and innovation as the Met Gala. Formally known as the Costume Institute Gala, this fundraiser is held at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC every year. With a guest list put together by the staff of Vogue and multimillions raised each year, this is without a doubt “Fashion’s Biggest Night.” As celebrities ascend the Met steps to get a first look at the Costume Institute’s fashion exhibit for the year, the rest of the world waits to see whose look triumphed…and whose fell flat.

Guests are expected to dress according to the theme of the year’s exhibit. For example: 2013 was the year of punk, while 2014’s theme was simply ‘white tie’. This year’s theme, “China: Through the Looking Glass” unsurprisingly made a few people nervous. The exhibit focuses on honoring Chinese designers, art, and culture; celebrities had to be careful to do justice to the theme without veering towards cultural appropriation or downright racism.

Overall, I was incredibly happy with how tastefully the dresses and suits alike paid homage to Chinese textiles, patterns, and styles. It would be impossible for me to include every look I loved this year, but here are a few of the most gushworthy works of art that caught my attention.

Never has Cara Delevingne ever disappointed me. She came through again this year, skipping a ball gown in favor of a Stella McCartney pantsuit. Tattoo artist Bang Bang inked (temporary!) Oriental birds and flowers all over the British model’s arms and shoulders.

I cannot stress enough how much I have enjoyed watching Zendaya Coleman (here in Fausto Puglisi) transition from Disney Channel starlet to young woman/fashion icon.

The golden girls of fashion: Models Karlie Kloss (in Atelier Versace), Joan Smalls (in Roberto Cavalli), and Jourdan Dunn (in Burberry).

Solange Knowles reminded us that this event is, and always will be, about art.

Just in case you forgot that Amal Clooney can do no sartorial wrong.

‘Sheer’ was definitely a huge trend: Kim K. emulated an old Cher gown, J-Lo bared all, and Beyoncé…was Beyoncé for crying out loud.

Wait… let’s take a look at Kendall’s Calvin Klein stunner one more time.

And then…there was Rihanna. Never before have I seen such a clear red carpet winner. Bravo. Brava. Her dress took two years to make. I’m going weeping to my grave.

Until next year, friends!

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Image 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12

Ariana Zlioba is a sophomore Political Science major and a proud resident of Pasquerilla West Hall. She spends her free time exploring every minor Notre Dame has to offer and imagining the editor's notes she will write after she succeeds Anna Wintour as editor-in-chief of Vogue. Here is what she likes: Stephen Colbert, high heels, and that coconut coffee Waddick's has sometimes. Here is what she doesn't like: Permacloud. At any given moment you'll most likely catch her dashing across campus in between meetings, Dance Co. rehearsals, and other meetings.