Meet Shaquille Johnson ’17

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Meet Shaquille Johnson! A Keenan Knight hailing from as far from the South Bend tundra as possible (Houston, Texas), Shaquille manages maintain a computer engineering major while and participating in numerous campus clubs and events such as Robotic Football, Sci-Fi Fantasy Club, and the Keenan Revue.

Name: Shaquille Johnson

Dorm: Keenan

Hometown: Houston, Texas

Major: Computer Engineering

Extracurricular activities:

ND Robotic Football, Sci-Fi Fantasy Club, Japan Club, Humans Vs. Zombies

Use three adjectives to describe yourself: 

Hardworking, Alpha male, merciless, insatiable

In the epic battle between North and South Dinning Hall, which is better and why?

Mom’s spaghetti, no matter where it’s from dining hall food lacks attention and care of delicious meals.

Last song you listened to?

Sunrise, Sunset” from the Fiddler on the Roof sound track.

Favorite movie and why?

The Fall, an epic tale about an injured stuntman and a girl he meets in the hospital. I love the soundtrack and the movie within a movie scenes. It really makes me feel for the characters who have been backed into a corner by their circumstances.

Least Favorite movie and why?

50 Shades of Abuse, terrible movie that glorifies abusive relationships and rape culture.

Who would you consider your role model?

Nikola Tesla, he was a man who went after his dreams no matter how many times he failed. And even when he was called crazy and so many people thought he was doomed to fail, he kept going. That is the type of person I aspire to be.

What would your dream job be?

Exploring the world and finding and restoring historical sites. I think that history is an important part of life and if we could see a historical site in it’s full glory, then maybe we would be more interested in topping their accomplishments and making our own world better, rather than fighting over all the things we do today.

You were part of the Keenan Revue, what was the experience like?

In the Keenan Revue I had a skit where I did random impersonations of people. The cast was very intent on me not knowing what I was going to do beforehand, so it was largely a surprise each night when I went up on stage and was just told what I was going to do. I also helped out with the set-up and things, but really it was a group effort that could not have been done without everyone in Keenan coming together.

What are some other accomplishments you’ve done at ND that you’re particularly proud of?

I was pretty amazed when I made an app with a team that allowed us to win 2nd place at a hack-a-thon hosted by Notre Dame. A hack-a-thon is an event where you make something over a weekend that is worthy to be shipped out and sold. The project that my team went with is an app that let you walk around and find treasure and battle monsters that spawned randomly in the world. It was a fun project and I got to win money.

What’s the best part about ND?

Keenan, I really enjoy all the guys that I have gotten to know and hangout with over the past two years.

What’s the worst part about ND?

The lack of innovative drive. I have often heard many students looking down on different ideas and new company ideas simply because they do not think that the risk of a new idea will result in anything monumental.

Favorite memory you’ve made at Notre Dame?

I think my favorite times have been the 4:00 am sleep deprived conversations on everything from politics to religion to hopes and dreams. 

Thanks Shaq!

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Images: All Images Provided by Interviewee

I'm a junior in Pasquerilla East Hall and am majoring in PLS and Political Science. I hail from Bayamon, Puerto Rico and as a result I wholeheartedly believe that depictions of Hell should involve snow instead of heat. In my free time I write, watch shows like Doctor Who/Steven Universe, read as many articles from EveryDay Feminism as humanly possible, and binge Nostalgia Chick on youtube.