Meet Notre Dame’s Up and Coming Singer-Songwriter, Alexis Daugherty ’18

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Alexis Daugherty, a former HCND writer and social media manager, is branching out and exploring her vocal talents. Daugherty recently released her first single, “Beast”, which is about “the struggle of female body image.” Alexis hopes to pursue singing after she graduates in May, and told us more about what inspires her.

What inspired you to write “Beast”?

I wanted to describe this feeling of pressure and negative body image young women face, and expressing this feeling through Disney Princesses really struck a chord in me. When I was young, my standard of beauty was the Disney Princesses, and all the wonderful traits I associated with them, and a thought occurred to me: how would these princesses fair in current society? Between social media and celebrity culture, I felt like these great icons of beauty would struggle in the same way we do. I also imagined that they would defy these pressures, even rewriting their stories to do so; “At midnight keep on dancing/Forget the mirror, mirror on the wall.”

What else do you hope to write about in your songs?

I plan to include as many puns and to play on words as much as I can, one song I really enjoy singing is called “Marry a Dime”, about how “you don’t need a big budget to marry a dime.” I also want to keep writing about people’s inspiring personal stories. One girl reached out to me over social media about writing a song about her healing after having a sexually abusive stepfather, and the song meant a ton to her. I also plan to keep writing a lot about my boyfriend Grant- haha I’m all about those love songs.

What inspires you?

I love storytelling. Any inspiring story, person, or feeling I find myself wanting to tell others about, I love to write about. Alternatively, there are certain feelings I can express best through songwriting. Those really vulnerable feelings, like the insecurity expressed in “Beast”, or a song I just wrote called “You Weren’t Mine,” about how it’s uncomfortable to think about a significant other’s life before you, and all moments in their life you realized you missed. Don’t worry though, the song has a happy end. I like happy endings.

Anything else you want to add?

I’ve always written songs, since I can remember. But I only started learning guitar about a year ago in order to commit more fully to my passion. A lot of my friends didn’t even know I liked to sing or write songs, and it’s been a really awesome experience finally embracing it. I have a long way to go, but I’ve started and I’m working at it and I think that’s what matters.

“Beast” is currently on all major platforms; Spotify, Apple Music, Amazon Music, and more. Thanks, Alexis!

Images provided by interviewee

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us and show our Instagram some love!​​

Editor-in-Chief of HCND from 2016-2018.