nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Health

Meet Lexi Leahy, Notre Dame Spin Extraordinaire

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Hometown: Winnetka, IL

Dorm: Welsh Family Hall

Major: Marketing

Favorite Movie: Crazy, Stupid, Love

Fun Fact: I’m a twin! I have a twin brother who lives in Duncan Hall. 

What drew you to instructing Spin?

I played basketball up until my freshman year of high school and always loved to spin as a form of cross training. One of my best friends from home owned a cycling studio called Spynergy in Winnetka and she and a lot of her family members taught at the studio and I would always go to their cycling classes. I love the high intensity of the workout and the fun music that the instructors always played. Once I stopped playing basketball my freshman year, my friend actually asked me if I wanted to teach because I always went to her classes and Spynergy needed more teen instructors at the time. I immediately said yes to the opportunity because I loved all the classes that Spynergy offered especially the teen spin classes. 

What was your Spin Instructor Certification process like? 

Spynergy provided the certification by hosting an 8 hour training session at the studio. Schwinn came to the studio and an instructor went through all the skills and knowledge needed to be a cycling instructor. Schwinn taught us how to properly set up the bikes, how to curate an effective yet fun workout class and taught us different techniques and exercises to use in class to motivate our clients while providing a great workout. The certification set me up for success and I am technically a certified spin instructor for life! 

Favorite song to work out to?

Anything Travis Scott or Post Malone. 

What did you do this summer? 

I did marketing for Fields Auto Group. I worked on different marketing campaigns and measured key performance metrics through google analytics. It was a great learning experience and I learned a lot about digital marketing within the automotive industry. 

What is your favorite Notre Dame Tradition? 

Singing the Alma Mater at the end of football games.  

If you could drop everything right now and fly to a destination for 6 months, where would you go? Any particular reason?

If I could drop everything right now and fly to a destination for 6 months I’d probably go to Italy. I’ve only been once but I didn’t get to see enough! And I don’t think I could ever get sick of eating pizza and pasta for 6 months straight.   

What did you want to be as a kid? 

When I was younger, I always wanted to be a veterinarian because I loved my dogs so much!

What’s your favorite class taken at Notre Dame? Why? 

My favorite class at Notre Dame is Digital Marketing with Professor Bohling. Professor Bohling is an incredible professor with a lot of experience in the field so he makes lectures really interesting and relevant to our lives. I really love learning about the social media aspect of marketing and understanding the different ways that social media campaigns can interact and connect with consumers. I highly recommend this class for Marketing majors or Digital Marketing minors!

If you could have a dinner date with either Post Malone or Justin Bieber, who would you choose? Why? 

I think I’d choose Post Malone over Justin Bieber. Post Malone seems like he’d be a hilarious dinner date and I also love his music. 

Do you have a favorite quote? 

“Study long, study wrong” – John Leahy (my dad) 

What would you tell your freshman year self now?

I would tell myself to go to more guest speakers and guest lectures that are held all over campus. Notre Dame always brings in different speakers to talk about a wide variety of topics and I wish I went to more of them. I remember Karamo Brown from Queer Eye came to campus and I hadn’t seen the Netflix show yet so I didn’t end up going but a lot of my friends went. Right after, I started watching Queer Eye and really regretted missing out on Karamo’s talk. 

What is your guilty pleasure?

My guilty pleasure is watching The Bachelor, The Bachelorette and Bachelor in Paradise. All three shows are always so entertaining. 

In your throwback themed class, you played “Strut” by the Cheetah Girls. Which Cheetah Girl would you compare yourself most to? Why? 

I think I would compare myself most to Chanel. I always loved her style in all the movies! She was also Raven’s best friend which I would love to be especially since I was obsessed with other Disney shows with Raven in them like That’s So Raven.

At your ten year ND reunion, what do you want people to see you and associate you with? 

At my ten year ND reunion, I hope people see me as someone who is doing what they love and what they were meant to be doing. I also hope people remember me and my spin classes because I love having my friends come to my classes and meeting new friends through spin!

Photos: 1, 2, 3

Tricia Moriarty

Notre Dame '22

Hi! My name is Tricia and I'm a part of the class of 2022 at the University of Notre Dame! I am so excited to take on the role of Editor-in- Chief for Notre Dame's talented and growing network of writers. I am studying Sociology and Pre-Medical studies and LOVE to write. My goal for the future is to work in Geriatric Medicine. When I'm not in South Bend, you can find me in Old Lyme, Connecticut. In my free time, I enjoy exploring new music on Spotify, re-watching Sex and The City or The Mindy Project, cheering on the Irish football team and paddleboarding.