Meet Evolutionary Genius Kenneth E. Filchak

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Kenneth E. Filchak is an evolutionary biology professor at the University of Notre Dame. As a professor of Evolution and Society, Intro to Biology, and Senior level Environmental Science classes, Filchak never fails to impart his knowledge, humor, and funky personality to his students in his science classes here at Notre Dame!

The Basics:

How would you describe your family?

My family is cooky. I’m married with two little girls (8 and 4). Their names are Emma and Maggie.

What toothpaste brand do you use?

I like the toothpastes with the gritty particulate matter in them.

Do you have any pets?

I have two cats (Bangles) that look like little leopards.

What’s your go-to dance move?

I think people would just be surprised that I can dance.

What’s your favorite meal?

I like Sushi quite a bit–a soft shell crab roll to be specific.

What’s your favorite movie?

Just one?! I can’t decide between A Beautiful Mind, Good Will Hunting, Shawshank Redemption, and Glory.

What’s your favorite 80’s jam? What’s your favorite go-to song in general?

80’s: Busta Rhymes “Put Your Hands Where My Eyes Can See”

In General: It is hard not to love “Party Up (Up in Here)” by DMX

How would you describe yourself when you were in college?

I probably was not the best student. I was the kid down the hallway with the party in their room.

Donuts or chocolate?

Donut with chocolate sprinkles.

What is your favorite part of the book The Red Queen?

The statistics about male and female homosexuality in SF pre-aids.

ND Details:

How long have you lived in South Bend, Indiana? How do you like South Bend?

I was born here! Interestingly enough, the Nieuwland Hall of Science is named after my grandfather’s uncle Father Nieuwland. My grandfather spent his years in the Chemistry lab in Nieuwland Hall. I went to Michigan State for five years and Texas for two, then came back to South Bend to be with family.

How would you describe the most difficult student you’ve ever had?

Combative and not in a good way. There’s a big difference between intelligent discourse and intellectual aggressiveness. The former being a good thing and the latter not.

What’s your favorite part about teaching at Notre Dame?

My students! If it wasn’t for you guys, I wouldn’t be here. This age group has a high enough mental level where we can talk about very interesting subjects. You guys are also at the time in your life where you need to start making the transition from your childhood to being a young professional. Unfortunately, some of that requires tough love.

Do you ever feel the Catholic mission of ND gets in the way of your teaching of evolution?

Only insofar that people really don’t understand what the facts of evolution are. Specifically, how they apply to humans. The issue isn’t necessarily about Creationism. It’s usually something about sexuality. Some people get bent out of shape.

If you could change one thing about Notre Dame what would it be?

One of my goals (not just ND specific) would be to have students avoid some of the pitfalls of college. This falls in two categories: academic – students can get really behind if they make the wrong choices. It also falls into the category of dynamic of interpersonal relationships between males and females.

If you could teach any class at ND besides evolution what would it be and why?

The History of Hip Hop and Rap Music would be fun, but I really like Evolution and Society. Only change I would make is making the class size smaller.

Shameless plug for prospective students to take your class?

If the subject intrigues you, then you should be in there! If the bald look of human nature intimidates you, however, you shouldn’t be in there!

While Dr. Filchak is too humble to praise his own class, as a student of his I cannot recommend it more! Striking the perfect balance between an interactive and intellectual environment, Professor Filchak’s class never ceases to wake me up in the morning.

Thanks for the interview, Professor!

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

All other photos provided by interviewee

Hi guys! I'm a freshman at ND hoping to study English and Journalism. I'm from Menlo Park, California, and my top three miscellaneous favorite things are without a doubt Nutella-filled crepes, Jcrew, and the entirety of the Wicked sound track. Oh and if the Bachelorette aired every night I would cut out a nightly hour and half to watch it – easily. Go Irish!