Managing the Gridiron: Meet Katelyn Markley ’18

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

If you’ve ever been to a Notre Dame football game, you’ve probably noticed the small army of people who help the program run smoothly every fall Saturday afternoon. Ushers in bright yellow jackets are scattered throughout the stadium directing fans to their seats, throngs of workers stand behind concession stand counters selling yummy snacks, and police officers roam the perimeter keeping everyone safe. However, a lot of work goes on behind the scenes of the games that fans and students don’t get to see. Hours before kickoff, student football managers are busy at work prepping the field for game day. Each afternoon in the fall (and early mornings in the spring) they report to practice like the football players do, putting in hours of work to help keep the Notre Dame football program successful. 

I got to sit down with one member of the army that helps the football program run smoothly. Katelyn Markley is a sophomore football student manager whose love of Notre Dame football began long before she stepped on campus for her freshman year. 

Name: Katelyn Markley

Hometown: Broomall, PA

Dorm: Breen-Phillips

Year: Sophomore

Major: Accounting and ACMS                    

Fun Fact: I was born on a Notre Dame football Saturday in 1995 when Notre Dame beat Vanderbilt 41-0! (Go Irish)

Katelyn with her fellow managers

How did you get involved as a student manager for the football team?

I actually heard about the program before I came to Notre Dame, and I always thought it would be really cool to get involved with the football team. I did a bunch of research on it and read up about the program. When I heard about the information session freshman year, I decided to go and sign up, and the rest is history I guess.

Can you give me a short overview of your responsibilities?

In a nutshell, I work all the practices and games, set up locker rooms, handle uniforms and shoes, and set up the field on game days. At practice I work with linebackers, so I help set up their drills at practice.During the season, I’m working three days a week for about four hours a day for practice. Plus game day, as a sophomore I just work the home games. I didn’t get to travel, but we would set up the locker rooms on Thursdays before home games and get there early on game day to set up the field. I stood on the sideline for every home game and cleaned BVG’s white board. (Important job. Highlight of the season for sure.) (Note: BVG = Brian VanGorder, Notre Dame’s defensive coordinator)

What is it like standing on the sidelines for all the home football games?

It’s awesome! The only thing I’ve always said is, I’m a 5’3 girl standing behind 6 foot plus football players so I don’t get to see much of the game, but it’s still a thrill.

What is your favorite part about being a student football manager?

I think my favorite part is just being a part of the amazing tradition that is Notre Dame football, and getting to be part of what makes it run behind the scenes. It’s really special and something I’ll never forget!

Selfies with starting quarterback DeShone Kizer is just one example of the many perks of the job

What’s been the toughest part of the job?

Definitely the time commitment. Now that the spring has started, early wake-up calls are pretty rough.

What time do you have to get up?

I have to report at 6:30, but I wake up at 5:30 a.m.

Do you get any perks for working for one of the greatest football programs in the country?

I do! Two words: Issued. Gear.Beyond my new collection of Under Amour, I also got my TV debut on the Showtime series, A Season with Notre Dame Football. Clearly I was the star of the show!Also, we got free hotdogs at halftime of every home game. They were the best hot dogs I’d ever had – especially when it was so cold I couldn’t feel my fingers.

Katelyn on A Season with Notre Dame Football

What is your favorite memory of working with the team?

Hmm … Definitely the USC game. It was probably one of our best games of the season, and it was the first time I’d ever seen Notre Dame play USC in person! It was exciting to see such a great rivalry and be on the sideline and feel the energy of the players – it was awesome.

What’s been the most rewarding part of this job?

Learning more about football. I feel like my relationship with my dad has strengthened with me getting this job because we have so much more to talk about on this other level, and I feel so in tune with his love of Notre Dame football. My love of Notre Dame football has grown from this experience, and it’s been really cool to share that love.

Have you always been a Notre Dame football fan?

Yes. My dad went to Notre Dame, so I’ve been a Notre Dame fan for as long as I can remember. I attended my first football game when I was in fourth grade and we played BYU. It was snowing, and we won. I knew I wanted to come to Notre Dame ever since.

Katelyn with her younger sister Emily 

Did you always know you wanted to go to Notre Dame?

In short: yes. When I came to campus for the first time, I wore this pair of sneakers – it was just a regular pair of sneakers. I loved being here so much that I saved the shoes because they were like my memory of the first time I stepped onto Notre Dame’s campus!

Do you have any words of advice for students or future Domers who might be interested in getting involved with the student manager program?

I would say if you’re interested in the program, definitely do it at least as a freshman because even if you don’t make it on to sophomore year, you get a little taste of what this program is like. It has so much tradition and is an incredible program – it’s so worth it, even if you work a few practices or one game. I would definitely say don’t pass up the opportunity. 

Thanks for the interview Katelyn!

XOXO, HCND

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us and show our Instagram some love!

(All images provided by interviewee)

Hey, I'm Claire! I'm a sophomore at Notre Dame majoring in psychology with minors in journalism and business economics. I'm from Peoria, Illinois (no, it's actually not a suburb of Chicago!) and if you know where that is, we're probably going to become best friends. I'm a self-proclaimed Starbucks addict, social media connoisseur, and a proud advocate of the (not so) occasional Netflix binge. I'm a proud Breen-Phillips Babe and so #blessed to be a part of the Notre Dame community. Go Irish!