This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

My dad is one of the most incredible artists I know. He says it was always one of those things that just came naturally to him; he once told us that one of his earliest memories was being in kindergarten and wondering why all his classmates weren’t drawing face proportions correctly. My dad used to drag my family to art museums and give us the history of all the paintings and their artists, and I’ve always loved to just sit and watch him draw. He therefore instilled in me a great appreciation for art. I have Henri Matisse paintings hung up on my bedroom walls and a deep love for Van Gogh, but I’ve never really been an artist myself. An extremely creative person, yes, but not the kind of artist my dad is.

But last spring, when quarantine started, I began what I call an art journal after seeing a girl make one on TikTok. I was looking for a creative outlet (and I was also just incredibly bored). And after making a few spreads I quickly discovered that, even though I would not consider myself a “good” artist, I loved to paint. I loved coming up with ideas, mixing colors and the simple process of creating something start to finish. I would spend hours laying on my bedroom floor, absolutely focused on the page in front of me and nothing else. The art journal became not only a creative outlet, but a way to express myself and get whatever I was feeling out in front of me. It became a stress reliever and a way to free my mind. So, when we returned back to campus last fall, I boxed up all my supplies and hauled my “art box” to my dorm room, and continued to create.

Art work
Original photo by Abby Wager

Although after almost a year I have definitely improved my painting skills, I’ve discovered that I don’t really care if the art ends up bad or less than “perfect.” Because for me, the act of creating something is always more important than the result. It’s not supposed to be perfect, so I don’t expect it to be. I just enjoy the process, because the actual creation is what makes me feel happy and peaceful. Making art has been good for me, even if I’m not the best at it.

So, make art. Even if it sucks. That was never the point anyway.

Art work
Original photo by Abby Wager
Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on Facebook, Pin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Abby Wager

Notre Dame '22

Abby is a junior at Notre Dame majoring in English and double minoring in Journalism and Digital Marketing. She spends her free time with friends, writing, making Spotify playlists, or watching Criminal Minds. She loves mac and cheese, Yosemite National Park, poetry, record players, and good company (in no particular order).