Lyons Freshmen: Kelly Loughran and Abby Herman ’18

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Since day one, these new Domers had their hearts set on Notre Dame.

Meet this week’s HCND Campus Celebs Kelly Loughran and Abby Herman. Freshmen at Notre Dame, Kelly and Abby bleed Blue and Gold. Between their parents, uncles, siblings, and even grandparents, Notre Dame is in their blood. Despite the family ties, these two knew Notre Dame would be just as special for them— from the moment they received their acceptance letters. 

Three weeks ago, they packed up their one-too-many suitcases, boarded a plane, and headed to campus to start their college careers. Not knowing what Notre Dame had in store for them, this West-coast girl Kelly just happened to cross paths with this East-coast girl Abby, and they’re already building their own Notre Dame legacies. Together.

Now, after move-in and two weeks of classes, these Freshies share their college expectations, new memories, dorm life must-haves, and, of course, freshman fails.

Names: Kelly Loughran and Abby Herman

Hometowns: Yorba Linda, CA; New Canaan, CT

Dorm: Lyons

Majors: Undeclared Business; Science Pre-Professional

Favorite Colors: Teal; Red

Top Songs on your Playlists: Shake It Off by Taylor Swift; Latch by Disclosure

Welcome to ND! How has the transition from high school to college been so far?

Abby: The transition has been easy in some aspects, hard in others. For example, I feel like I’ve got my whole study cycle down and know how to stay on top of homework, but it’s hard fending for yourself when it comes to food, laundry, getting sick, etc. 

Kelly: College is a lot different than high school, especially with the amount of homework. But, after getting into the rhythm of classes and starting to recognize some faces on campus, it has been a lot of fun!

Having friends in the same situation definitely helps that transition. How did you girls meet?

Abby: We met for a brief moment at Frosh-O, and I think our personalities just matched! We’re both in Lyons, too.

Kelly: The classiest dorm on campus!

Since you girls became friends, do you have any funny “Freshman Fail” stories about each other?

Abby: One is probably when Kelly fell down a flight of stairs one of the first nights of college and broke her sandals. Don’t worry she was laughing too.

Kelly: RIP my Sam Edelman’s.

What has been your favorite part about ND so far?

Abby: It’s so hard to pick just one. I’d say the perfect balance of academic and social life, and that everyone who goes to Notre Dame loves it.

Kelly: As of now, my favorite part about ND is football. After experiencing my first football game in the student section, there was no question that Notre Dame was the right school for me.

A big motto on campus is “Work Hard, Play Hard.” Do you think you’ve been able to balance work and fun?

Abby: I would say so. I think I have come to terms with the fact that weekdays are all for studying while it’s okay to take a break and not worry about anything too much on the weekends.

Kelly: It’s been hard managing work and fun because it feels like whenever I’m not in class, I’m doing homework. But we have definitely had our fair share of fun times here under the Dome—and it’s barely been three weeks…

While you’re learning to reach this balance, what expectations do you have for the rest of your first year?

Abby: I’m looking forward to making a solid group of friends and getting into the grove of things as a freshman. I’m also looking forward to really getting involved with some extracurricular clubs and starting to understand what I want to do when I grow up.

Kelly: Like Abby said, I’m looking forward to meeting so many new people, just enjoying the college experience! Notre Dame has lived up to my high expectations so far, so I am hoping that the good times continue!

Now that you both call Lyons your new home, what are your dorm life must-haves?

Kelly: So far, my must-haves are definitely my towel wrap, Quaker oatmeal, music (ghetto), Netflix, fruit, and I absolutely cannot live without Diet Coke.

Thanks, girls! Good luck with the rest of Freshman year! xoxo

New to Pinterest? So are we! Follow the HCND Pinterest account, pin with us, and remember to keep posted with HCND on TwitterInstagram, and Facebook! 

Images provided by author 

My name is Kit Loughran. I'm a junior Marketing and Journalism double-major at Notre Dame.