This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

I don’t know about you, but for me, studying in the same spots on campus every day of the week gets old very fast. Don’t get me wrong, I love the vibes of Hagerty Family Cafe on a rainy Wednesday afternoon, and the sun shining through the big windows on the second floor of the Hesburgh Library on a Sunday morning. After a while, I must admit I start to get bored of doing the same thing, in the same couple of places, week after week. 

Campus is incredible, but this spring I was ready to get out of the bubble. So, this semester I decided to adventure into South Bend to find new spots to do my school work. I have never been a huge coffee drinker, but I always enjoy the atmosphere of small coffee shops. So, when I stumbled into The South Bend Chocolate Company one Saturday afternoon, I was pleasantly surprised, to say the least. This coffee shop and chocolate store is one of the best spots in town. With black and white checkered tiles, a huge fireplace surrounded by the comfiest leather couches, and a variety of breakfast foods, desserts and coffee, I always feel comfortable and content studying here. 

iPhone with headphones plugged in next to a latte
Photo by Juju Han from Unsplash

Another popular spot is The General Deli & Cafe right by the St. Joseph River and Howard Park. This coffee shop is small but surrounded by so much life. I love coming here to work on a paper while also watching families and friends walk by to go ice skating across the street at the Howard Park ice skating rink. 

Another one of my all-time favorite cafes in all of South Bend is the Yellow Cat Cafe! It is definitely a brunch vibe, but I love going here with my girlfriends on a Saturday morning to start off the weekend! No, I’m not a big coffee fan, but, I always get a cup here! 

These are just a few of many hidden gems in South Bend, and I am determined to keep looking for more this semester and in the years to come. If anyone finds a good spot – let me know – and I’ll add them to my list! ;) 

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on Facebook, Pin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Lindsey Reina

Notre Dame '23

My name is Lindsey Reina, and I am a sophomore at the University of Notre Dame! I am originally from Atlanta, GA, and I am studying Political Science and Latino studies. I am the biggest Taylor Swift fan around, love swimming competitively, and always look forward to baking with my fellow wildcats in Ryan Hall every week!