Live, Laugh, LaFun: Aurelia Vaiana

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Sweet, selfless, and never seen without a smile, you may know Aurelia Vaiana if you trek to the fourth floor of Cavanaugh Hall, or if you have been to one of LaFun’s many events. She works as an Event Assistant (EA, for short) in the Student Center, and was kind enough to sit down and chat with me at North to tell me the ins and outs of her work. 

Aurelia is not only uplifting and generous to everyone who has ever had the joy of getting to know her, but also a hard worker and someone who loves her job – whether she’s setting up tables for an event, or running errands around LaFun. 

The Basics

Enjoying “pancakes with the Pope”

Year: Freshman

Dorm: Cavanaugh

Major: Theology

Other Involvement: KiND Club and teaching Sunday School 

Job Title: Event Assistant and LaFun

Showing school spirit at a football game

The Job

So what does a normal day at work look like for you?

“So there are three different types of responsibilities I have. The first is setting up – putting everything in the ballroom together for presentations or banquets or SYRs. This is usually pretty simple and doesn’t take too long, unless it’s for an SYR, then we have to set up the dance floor, which takes more effort. 

Other times I’ll work the events. So I get there early and set up, and I have to make sure I know how to run the music and projector. I’ll clean up and over-see things during the event. This is usually in LaFun, but sometimes I’ll have to go to Stepan or work at Washington Hall, too.”

Then there’s the night shifts…”

Oh, I bet you have some stories from that.

“There are a few. There have been instances of people on Friday and Saturday nights in the basement unscrewing lightbulbs, stealing things… Although there was this one time I heard of when everyone in the basement started singing the same song together. Those shifts go from 12-4 am so those can be entertaining.”

What are the biggest perks of your job?

“Definitely the people. Everyone is great friends with each other, and I’ve worked with fantastic people. We even hang out outside of work sometimes.”

What would you say to someone who was interested in this job?

“I would highly recommend it! You get to work with a great group, and there’s lots of variety in the things you can do. I pick my hours and I definitely want to continue my job there. I’d love to eventually be one of the people who deliver cakes – you just get to drive around on the golf cart and bring cakes to the different dorms and say ‘Happy Birthday’!”

It sounds like you’ve got a great gig, Aurelia. Thanks!

Aurelia and her roommate Bailey Kendall 

Images: provided by interviewee

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us and show our Instagram some love!