Jamaican Me Crazy! Travis Gayle ’18

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Travis Leslie Kenny Gale has to be one of the coolest guys I have EVER had the pleasure of meeting. Not only does he have four names (I know, SO AWESOME, right?) but he also is here at Notre Dame on a full ride scholarship!  Travis is a Gates Millennium Scholar, Footlocker/Dosomething.org scholarship recipient, Anbryce Scholar, and a Horatio Alger Annexstad Scholar. Keenan’s incredible resident is a computer science and business management double major.  This Jamaican is from Jamaica, New York (Jamaican me crazy with all this awesomeness, Travis) and he loves Notre Dame! Going to Chantilly, Virginia with him last month gave me the opportunity to meet one of my closest friends here on campus! So without further ado…Meet Travis!

So Travis, if you had to choose five words to describe yourself, and three words to describe Jamaica, NY, which would you choose?

For myself, I would probably choose: blessed, athletic, humble (as humble as I can be right now describing myself), understanding, approachable and for my hometown I would use underrepresented, poor, and community.

Travis, what’s your sense of style?  How would you say your look represents YOU?

When it comes to style, I don’t wanna be like everyone else but at the same time like I don’t want to mismatch. You have to add your own unique thing. I style myself for myself and nobody else. Why look like everyone else? Don’t you want to stand out and be different?

How do you like to spend your free time?

I like to play basketball at Rolf’s and I really like to talk to people. This is going to sound really stupid but I like to understand; I feel like the things that we do not understand and do not try to understand are the things that we are afraid of. Learning/understanding is just one of my favorite things. 

What are you passionate about? 

If I knew my passion, I would know exactly what I wanna be. One of my biggest strengths and passions is my ability to socialize with people. I’ve been told and I feel like I am very well spoken.  I can learn something from everyone and can gain a lot more from people with experience. I feel like my social skills serve as a good influence over other people and I feel like I am a good role model. Statistically, I’m not even supposed to be here right now so by breaking barriers and statistics…it’s a big thing right there. Of course I’m here because I want to give back and do service but if I can get people who look up to me to do the same thing, imagine how much change we can make in the world. It’s like a cycle, people see you struggling and then they feel like if you struggle and you make it, then their struggles mean that they can make it too. We all have our own backgrounds and our own paths and if this cycle keeps growing, then we can keep expanding success throughout other minorities. The success of others makes me feel successful sometimes.

You talk about struggles and barriers you faced as a minority in order to attend Notre Dame.  As an African American who had to fight the odds to be here, what is it like to be able to accomplish your dream and be here at Notre Dame?

I find it beautiful how 100 to 150 years can make such a big difference in terms of how we are able to live and acquire our eductions. Now, it does not matter what are skin color is because in terms of being able to live in the same dorms as everyone else, go to classes together as one…it’s just beautiful.

So, other than me of course, who is or was your favorite person ever?

God and Jesus Christ are tied for first place. My favorite person on this earth ever though was John F. Kennedy because he had such a great character like MAN. He knew how to speak and present himself so that way everyone would want to listen.  

Where’s your favorite place on campus?

The Grotto it reminds me of who I am. There are so many temptations, but in the end nobody is perfect, we are all human and bound to make mistakes but every time I go I come back so refreshed. 

Thanks for letting me interview you, Travis! Your cute self and wise words should serve as an inspiration to us all! You’re the best my GMS brother!

Follow the HCND Pinterest account, pin with us, and remember to keep posted with HCND on TwitterInstagram, and Facebook!

All Images are courtesy of Travis’ Facebook