Irish Bachelorette Recap: Episode One

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

I’m going to start off that I wasn’t planning to watch The Irish Bachelorette, I swear. Our dorm was having a watch though and I figured I’d stop by for a couple of seconds before heading to the lib and after a minute I couldn’t peel my eyes from the screen. You know when a show is so bad it’s good? This is as golden as that lovely dome.

*Warning: prepare for the 30 most awkward minutes of your life and the hazards of second-hand embarrassment.

Premise

Modeled after ABC’s The Bachelorette, 11 Notre Dame bachelors try to win over the love of a Notre Dame girl all over one weekend. No this is isn’t a show about dorm parties but close enough.

Kirsten

Whatta trooper. She handled herself really well and it will be fun to possibly see more of her personality next week. There’s no way I’d be able to get through that 100% sober.

Host

“Kristen, uh Kirsten. Sorry, I’m just getting to know you still.”

He has a phenomenal voice but rookie mistake messing up the name of the girl whom the show is about.

The Boys

I was actually impressed at the amount of handsome guys the got to sign up for this. Werk it Kirsten.

The Limo Ride

“I hear if you make the final four you’re pretty much in.”

Words buddy, listen to your words.

They got the same limo cab driver who gives people rides to fever and whom you can occasionally see creepin’ at house parties. No way he didn’t love his 15 seconds.

The guys were holding hands in a circle reciting a Hail Mary. ‘Nough said.

First Impression

Kirsten’s dress was quiche as hell. Super classy, loved it.

“Do you believe in love at first sight or should I come down again?”

Best line of the night.

One of the guys comes down in what appears to be a track suit, he then rips off the pants in one swift movement and throws the rain jacket to the floor revealing his suit… dafuq? WHY DO YOU OWN EASY ACCESS RIPPABLE PANTS?! At least Kirsten knows right at the get-go you’re down.

Mocktail Party

It’s like watching Miley at the VMA’s, you feel so bad for Hannah Montana that she’s embarrassing herself but it’s so fascinating you just can’t stop. Getting to see Domers have no game was right around equal to that.

Mocktails? No way Kirsten didn’t have a flask with her to get through this. Those convos would not be easy without a lil kick.

“I’m here to meet my dream girl.”

Finally someone with a some game, saying that you’re there cause you lost a bet probably isn’t the best strategy.

“It’s hard to date girl when you don’t talk to them.”

Perfectly sums up the Notredating scene.

Agustin just straight up showed up over an hour late and soaked from the rain. Although you have an extremely Catholic sounding name I’m going to say next.

“You got this man, sack up.”

Highly enjoying the guys making alliances and acting as if winning over a girl’s heart is like a game of C.O.D.

The Hat Ceremony

The eerie music really built up the tension in what would have just looked like a bunch of kids hanging out in the main basement after a Dome Dance.

Instead of giving away something like a rose, Kirsten gave away Irish hats. Sure, why not.

Team Liam

#TeamLiam was blowing up Twitter and I don’t hate that. Liam seemed like such an interesting personality and character. Probably the most mature seeming on the show, when he was eliminated he was the only one that took it with absolute grace instead of throwing huge amounts of shade. Knowing I’m not going to be seeing him next week was probably the only time I was going to tear up from sadness as opposed to the streams from laughter running down my face.

This is the best thing NDTV has ever come up with so I’ll definitely be watching this bad boy next week on Monday at 8PM, till then collegiettes!

Btw if you missed this week’s you can watch it here.

University of Notre Dame; Class of 2014