This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Disclaimer: I’m the oldest of three girls, so I’ll admit I came to ND a little behind on football knowledge. I’ve played a decent amount of catch-up in the two football seasons since then, and you can bet that on game day, I’m cheering with the best and the rest of them. 

My love for Notre Dame football has since developed my passion for sports journalism and how the media covers various sporting events. When given the opportunity to attend one of Brian Kelly’s Sunday press conferences, I jumped at the chance to see into the inner workings of Team 127 and the program that sustains Notre Dame’s football legacy. Here’s a look inside my afternoon in the Gug, and what I learned:

LESSON #1: Media relations are a huge part of the football machine, and it shows.

As I walk into the auditorium in the Guglielmino Athletics Complex, more affectionately known as “The Gug”, camera crews and many, many reporters are setting up their equipment and readying themselves to take notes. The TV stations you would expect to see are there: local NBC, CBS, ABC, and Fox affiliates were on hand. There are also reporters from Chicago, local publications, and Notre Dame’s very own The Observer. The atmosphere is light and convivial, all of these guys (and yeah, they’re mostly male) know each other; they’ve all got the same beat. One of the team’s media liasons passes around that day’s press release, which is written up and disseminated by the publicity office. Lou Somogyi, editor-in-chief of Blue and Gold Illustrated, tells me that depending on the time of year, Brian and the team are in here talking to the press multiple times a week. Today, Brian Kelly will be answering questions first, and then a few team members will come in to give comments.

The Showtime crew precedes Brian Kelly out of his office, and then the big man himself comes out to start the show.

Brian Kelly, dressed head to toe in ND issue gear— even on Sundays, folks—takes his place at the podium and gives his opening statement.

Lesson #2: It’s the World According to BK:

·      The team is very excited about the Fiesta Bowl matchup between ND and Ohio State (the news had broken not long before this conference). They’re happy that they get to play one more game together against the defending national champions.

·      Brian has a lot of respect for OSU coach Urban Meyer and thinks that given how close the rankings were this year, OSU could quite possibly still be the best team in the country.

·      On the injured players: KeiVarae Russell won’t be coming back for the Fiesta Bowl…but Jarron Jones, Durham Smythe, and mayyyyybe C.J. Prosise (*crosses fingers*) will be.

·      Winning is going to be the most important thing during the Fiesta Bowl: BK won’t be experimenting with new guys and new positions the way Notre Dame has done in past bowl games.

Lesson #3: He opens the floor to a flood of reporters’ questions, some of which are asked by phone calls played over a loudspeaker.

Their answers? Kelly isn’t underestimating Ohio State one bit. He knows how important a victory is, given that Notre Dame hasn’t had a major bowl win in a very, very long time. He also says that they’re prepared to take on a physical, well-coached team like OSU, but they’ll have to play a “complete game, or they’ll be compromised.” Reporters ask quite a few questions about how DeShone Kizer will prepare for the game, and Kelly responds that they’ll focus on the fundamentals, as well as exposing him to more work in the red zone. Kelly also deflects a question about OSU coach Urban Meyer, who was once courted for the Notre Dame head coach position. “I won’t be here forever,” Kelly quips. “Urban might come to ND someday if he wants to.”

“We’re used to playing the best. We schedule the best, we look forward to playing the best, we want to be associated with the best.” –Brian Kelly

Mike drop, Kelly out. 

Lesson #4: The players’ opinions matter.

After he leaves, the reporters swarm the few players that have meandered into the room to give their perspective on the day’s news. I can’t even see DeShone Kizer through all the reporters holding tape recorders inches from his face. When he’s done, I end up listening to captain Joe Schmidt, who repeats that their last game will be about honoring the relationships that the players have built. The players stress how happy they are to have the opportunity to test their strength against a well-respected team like OSU. These guys know what it is to carry on a legacy, but Team 127, as they refer to themselves, has definitely been able to carve out their own place in our memories.

Overall, I came away even more impressed with the kind of maturity and resolve it takes to be a football player (or a coach) at a school like Notre Dame. It truly takes a village to make these men the best that they can be, and the level of organization and professionalism is astounding. Thank you to everyone who made this afternoon possible for me; I’m ever prouder to be a member of the Fighting Irish!

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Ariana Zlioba is a sophomore Political Science major and a proud resident of Pasquerilla West Hall. She spends her free time exploring every minor Notre Dame has to offer and imagining the editor's notes she will write after she succeeds Anna Wintour as editor-in-chief of Vogue. Here is what she likes: Stephen Colbert, high heels, and that coconut coffee Waddick's has sometimes. Here is what she doesn't like: Permacloud. At any given moment you'll most likely catch her dashing across campus in between meetings, Dance Co. rehearsals, and other meetings.