If You Haven’t Seen Little Women Yet, it’s Time to Get Yourself to the Nearest Theater

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

[Warning: Contains Spoilers]

I may not have done much over break, but the one thing I was determined to accomplish was seeing Little Women in theaters. My mom and I embarked to the 5:50pm showing on a snowy night and I left two hours later with my heart full and my mind buzzing. 

Greta Gerwig’s modern adaptation of the timeless story of the March women is as breathtaking as it is relatable. Amy’s struggle with being second best, Jo’s determination to be heard and appreciated and Meg’s desire to have her choices respected are themes as present today as they were in 1868. The personalities depicted in this film are complex and bright, and troubled yet strong. Gerwig’s sequencing of flashbacks dispersed throughout adds an understanding of the story and a connection to the growth of these characters that other representations told in a linear fashion lack. It was a way to show a 150 year old, well-known story through a fresh and unexpected lense that kept viewers deeply engaged. 

It’s a beautiful love story, showcasing a dynamic number of relationships that overlap and intertwine. Of course you fall in love with Laurie (who’s played by Timothée Chalamet…so honestly how could you not?) However, it’s not only the iconic push-and-pull in the love he and Jo share, but the love he has for the whole March family that is magnetic. The March women bring a warmth into the life of Laurie that is satisfying to watch. It’s the quiet love of Meg and John that shows us that all stories of love and choices are different, but that does not make them any less important or valid. The compassionate love and understanding between Mr. Lawrence and Beth shows that kindness truly can change a person’s life. 

I had thought of writing this article as a list of my top ten moments from the movie, but that would simply be unfair. It wouldn’t do this masterpiece the justice it deserves. The one scene I cannot stop thinking about lasts only a flash of seconds, as Marmi leaves the house for a while to take care of Mr. March who has been injured in the Civil War. 

In this scene, Marmi embraces her girls before leaving to take care of their father. Over clamoring exclamations these women come together and the camera pans to the the three men watching them. In this moment of cinematic beauty, these men stand there looking with what I can only describe as wondrous awe and complete amazement at their power, love, joy and strength. It was a representation of men looking at women in a way that is not shown and appreciated nearly as much as it should be. 

I wonder how Greta Gerwig could’ve been snubbed for both the Golden Globe and an Oscar nomination for such a thoughtful, moving piece of work. The nuance and depth of her choices shines through in everything from casting to costumes to the physical blocking of scenes. Every moment stirred up a fascination for what played out before my eyes and an inspiration to be like all the women involved in this piece of art.

My heart broke with Jo’s rejection of Laurie, it shattered with Beth’s death, it sang with Amy’s determination in France and soared with Jo’s triumph in publication. I felt all the emotions and am still reeling from the importance I feel it has in our society today. 

Go see it in theaters while you still can.

Image 1, 2

Emma Koster

Notre Dame '22

Hi! My name is Emma and I'm a junior at the University of Notre Dame. I'm so excited to be studying psychology, journalism, and digital marketing here at ND! In my free time I love to read, eat yummy snacks, and hang out with friends.