If Quads Were Game of Thrones Kingdoms

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Don’t be fooled by the increasingly warm weather – winter is coming. At least it is on Game of Thrones, which has a new season premering this Sunday on HBO! Before diving back into the world of the Seven Kingdoms, I thought it would be fun to imagine a world where Notre Dame is Westeros and our quads are its kingdoms.

King’s Landing: God Quad

The dome is to the Iron Throne what the roach-infested dorms are to Flea Bottom. Overlooking the Main Building and the Basilica, this quad is home to the most powerful people at Notre Dame. Many leaders have ruled here, and it seems like there’s always a wedding happening.

Dorne: North Quad

Due to its relative independence and distinct culture, this quad tends to have a strong sense of identity. Peculiar music (“My Heart Will Go On” recorder version), cuisine (NDH), and customs (Bun Run) often separate this region from the rest of campus, but its inhabitants don’t seem to mind. However, their pride is their downfall.

Iron Isles: South Quad

This quad houses a series of tiny communities sprinkled near the water. The halls in this region are famously tiny, but their dorm spirit is strong enough to drown out the reality of their cramped living spaces. From the naval prowess of Fisher Hall to the rambunctious brotherhood in Alumni, this quad may be strange, but it seems to be working.

Winterfell: Mod Quad

The people of this quad are generally honorable, hard-working, and proud citizens. Unfortunately, both its location and its scenery are super dreary. Its once great reign is over (R.I.P. Grace and Flanner), and now it’s home to just a few select domers. Under the constant shadow of the permacloud (or is that smoke from the power plant?), this place always feels like winter.

Highgarden: West Quad

One of the larger regions on campus, West Quad is increasingly relevant. It’s high-class living spaces, sizeable population, and convenient location next to the highly traveled main circle make it a powerhouse on campus. While some of its inhabitants may attract jealousy from others that don’t live in “hotels,” they seem to be pretty down-to-earth overall.  

Across the Narrow Sea: East Quad

This region is full of new adventures and mystery. What will the new dorms look like? Is it even going to be named East Quad? Are there dragons over there?

The Wall: Far Quad

This one is pretty self explanatory. Forced to live a life far, far away from the rest of us, the brave men of Far Quad spend their days bracing themselves against the cold wind that blows off of Saint Mary’s lake. Given the nickname of an animal, these crows – I mean vermin – do the job that none of the rest of us want to do: live in Carroll.

No matter what quad you live on, one thing is certain: when you play the game of dorms, you win or you don’t get a dome dance.

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Images 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Madeline is a Junior Computer Science & Psychology dual-degree student from a farm in Iowa. When she's not studying in her Welsh Fam dorm room, she enjoys eating overpriced chips and salsa from the Huddle, practicing for a non-existent "American Idol" audition on her ukulele, and spending an embarrassing amount of time searching for a new Netflix series to commit to.