This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Name: Idaleen Ching

Hometown: Northridge, California

Major: Neuroscience and Behavior, with the intention of going to medical school

Dorm: Pangborn

Year: Rising Sophomore (!!!)

Miss Ida Ching is one of many students who made the horrible decision to trade their sunny Californian weather for the gray skies, rain, and freezing cold of the Midwest. Still, the ever-cheerful (except for when she’s sleepy, which is often) Ida doesn’t let the weather crush her sunny spirit.

Some of her hobbies include watching Korean dramas, looking at pictures of dogs while stating how cute they are, talking on the phone with her mom, and constantly depriving herself of sleep to study or binge watch whatever show she’s addicted to at the moment.

Ida and fellow Californian, Katherine, during the first snowfall of last year!

How have you spent your summer?

At the beginning of summer I took a road trip from campus back to California with my mom, aunt and cousin. It was… interesting. Other than that I’ve just been spending time with friends and family because I only see them once during the school year, when I go home for winter break. It’s been fun!

What are you most excited to return to ND for?

Being reunited with everyone!

Approximately how many hours did you spend on Netflix this summer?

Technically one because I don’t have Netflix! I watched 3 episodes of Parks and Rec with my friend on her account. But I’ve spent way too much time watching shows and movies on other sites.

(Note: I’ve seen the list of shows she wanted to watch and it was intimidatingly long.)

What class are you looking forward to?

I’m excited for Cognitive Psychology because I really like psych classes and I haven’t taken one since 10th grade.

Are there any activities you really want to do before you go back to school?

There’s a park near my house that gives free archery lessons so hopefully I’ll be able to do that before I leave. I also want to eat all the good food here in LA!

What dining hall food have you missed?

The waffles with whipped cream.

How long are we going to hug when we’re both on campus?

Until classes start!

Ida and some of her Pang friends for an Easter in Chicago.

Thank you so much for the time zone-crossing interview, Ida! I can’t wait to hug you for approximately 36 hours straight while softly rocking back and forth!

The HCND application is now open! For more information contact Rebecca Rogalski at rebeccarogalski@hercampus.comor Katrina Linden at katrinalinden@hercampus.com

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on Facebook, Pin with us, and show our Instagram some love!

Images: All from Ida’s Facebook account

Megan Valley

Notre Dame

Megan Valley, Notre Dame class of 2018, is majoring in the Program of Liberal Studies and English. Some of her addictions include chai tea, naps, popcorn, flannel shirts and floral print dresses. She enjoys reading, writing, smashing the patriarchy, binge watching television shows of questionable caliber, and speaking about herself in the third person.