I Don’t Even Go Here: The Notre Dame Experience from a Belle’s Perspective

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Since arriving on Saint Mary’s campus now two years ago (holy guacamole!), I have become quite acquainted with that beautiful university across the street. Being at Saint Mary’s and having Notre Dame right there really is the best of both worlds and has taught me so many valuable things about not only college in general, but about life in the bend. The 7 things that Notre Dame is teaching me, as a Saint Mary’s Belle are as follows:

1.  That Greek life is overrated. Who needs Tri-Delt or Chi Psi when you have Stanford Griffins and Saint Mary’s Belles? The women and men of Notre Dame have their own spirit jerseys and traditions. Farley Fiasco, that Morrissey Manor…even events like the Keenan Revue and formals like the Steds Yacht Dance. Seriously ND has taught me that you don’t need greek life to have fun on the weekends. And just by simply going to Saint Mary’s you’re walking right into a sisterhood. ND being established in 1842 and SMC in 1844, you can’t get much more traditional than that.

2.  There is a time and place for the trolley. Or shuttle or Sweep or whatever you want to call it. Sure, it will pick you up from the Edge helping you get to CJ’s, and yes, it’s great when you have to get between campuses in the January polar vortex. Boys have told me they love a ride on the trolley, but for a Belle going out on a Friday night, unless you enjoy falling off a crowded bus and marching all over ND among a pack of a million girls tripping in their stilettos, I suggest you find another way to get back and forth from ND and SMC. (Call Marky Mark, ladies, Marky Mark. It’s worth the two bucks.)

3.  The stereotypes are actually NOT a thing. I have a ton of Notre Dame girl and guy friends. And it is really nice to have multiple sets of friends on both sides of the street. There is always someone different to go to either library with, get dinner with, and chat in my room with at 2 a.m. I’m really never by myself and don’t exactly know what I’m going to do alone someday in the real world…

4.  It took me two years, but I actually know where most buildings, quads, and dorms are located on campus. For ND students, I’m sure it didn’t take them too long to figure it out, but for Belles not knowing our way around ND 100% completely leaves room for adventure and new discoveries. Running through campus and not exactly knowing which way you’re headed isn’t all that terrible as long as you keep up your stride.

5.  Notre Dame WILL tell Saint Mary’s everything. And vise-versa. Think that what happens on ND’s campus stays on ND’s campus? Well, let me tell you…you are very, very wrong. It may be something to despise at first, but it is probably a really good thing.

6.  What you do at ND, you can bring back to SMC …and again, vise-versa. When I joined Her Campus ND, I really wasn’t thinking that it would become such a major part of my life. Now I’m an intern, helped to start-up the Saint Mary’s chapter, and my best Belle and I will be head of HCSMC in the fall. Thanks, HCND!

7.  Guy friends are important. Mostly because you need them to swipe you into a dorm. (Just kidding!) Brotre Dame or not…the guys at ND are typically experts in the frienship arena…(relationship arena…debatable). Hence, it is always nice to know that you’ve got a couple guys on your side to go beat up those other ones who don’t treat you very well. 

Also, pro tip: NEVER walk through the Keenan doors when wanting to be let into Stanford. Just do not.

ND and SMC are teaching me so many things about life in general, and being halfway through with my time at Saint Mary’s truly breaks my heart. The relationship between the campuses is an awesome and unique experience that you can’t find anywhere else. I am truly blessed to be a part of such a wonderful and joyful community. Here’s to hoping the next two years don’t go by nearly as fast as the past two have!

For more colliegette journalism, follow HCND on Twitter and like us on Facebook!

Hannah Drinkall is a Saint Mary’s College contributor to Her Campus Notre Dame.

Hannah Drinkall

Saint Mary's

Hannah graduated Saint Mary's College (May 2016) with a major in Communication Studies & a minor in Public Relations & Advertising. She was the Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Saint Mary's, which she co-founded in December 2013. She's from Florida, and she is now working in New York City with New York Times best selling author, Adriana Trigiani. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter, @hannahdrinkall!