How to Succeed This Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

If you’re anything like me, you always have the best laid plans to be: healthier, happier, more productive, more social, and of course to rock all of your classes. Inevitably, I find myself halfway through the semester without having accomplished most of the things I set out to do. I mean well, but hey, I get busy! Here are a few simple tricks and tips to make spring 2014 the best semester ever:

Wellness:

You probably set a whole lot of goals for the New Year and likely “be healthy” or “get fit” made the list in some form. The hard truth it this: if your goal is vague, you won’t follow through. Because you don’t know exactly what you have to achieve. Instead, set a few small, concrete goals and they will add up to big things. For example:

Be specific

If you set small goals, you’ll make gains – promise. Instead of “look hot in my swimsuit on Spring Break” try instead “lose 10 pounds by Valentine’s Day.” That gives you a little over a month, which is about 2 pounds a week. You can do that! By setting that exact number, dress size, or time limit, you’ll be fit in no time. Or, conversely, you can set workout goals. If you run a 10 minute mile, cut it down to 8:30 and do three in a row and then four in a row. That way, you will also be working on getting fit and the dress size will come as an afterthought. So grab a workout buddy and get to Rolfs. We’re in college – no reason not to be in the best shape of your life. 

Lists are your God now. 

Drink more water

I get it, this is obvious advice. But you’re still ignoring me and your doctors, aren’t you? Yep. Honestly, a lot of people (including yours truly) constantly forget how much water you have to drink in order to stay actually hydrated. It’s a lot. A whole lot. You should really aim to be drinking about 64 ounces a day (or, to keep it simple, fill up that DH glass 8 times). That’s a lot of water over the course of the day, but if you spread it out, it’s super easy – just two slow glasses at a time. Additionally, you can breeze on by the bookstore and buy a Nalgene water bottles. Fill that twice and you’re on your way to being well hydrated, healthier, and less hungry.

Cut unnecessary calories 

College is a tough time to be healthy. It’s really stressful, you think that you can eat anything because you’re young with the best metabolism you’ll ever have, and LaFortune offers and entire wall of candy to ease your 4 AM hunger pains. If you happen to be a Starbucks addict (like me), you may find this kind of thinking leads to calories adding up to problematic levels. But there are easy ways to cut calories if you hunt for them. Try ordering things nonfat, no whip or skinny. If you want to try the new caramel flan cappuccino order a grande with nonfat milk and no whip. It goes from 390 calories down to 240 calories and the tall is even fewer! If you drink a lot of pop order diet instead of regular and you eliminate all of the calories! Eating out and trying to be healthy? Substitute a side salad for fries and ask for dressing on the side. Keep in mind that vinaigrettes and oil based dressings are usually better for you that cream based dressings. These little substitutions can make a big difference.

This puppy is nailing it. You can too. 

Budget:

If you start finding yourself tighter on cash this semester there are a few easy fixes for that too. You could try writing out a budget, but if that’s not your thing, you can always get a new job or do a few small things to spend less.

Get a job/ second job 

The easiest fix for a small bank account is getting a job on campus. Be sure to check the job board and ask your friends to find out what departments and organizations are hiring on campus. You can always work in food services, but there are plenty of other opportunities if you seek them out. Be sure to look early in the semester, because good jobs fill up fast.

Eat out less 

If you’re on campus, take advantage of your meal plan. Make new dishes by combining foods in the dining hall! You’re paying for it whether or not you use it, so at least try to make it to grab and go. You could eat apples and pita chips for snacks (which are both super healthy) instead of running to the huddle. If you live off campus, cook more! Invite some friends over and have them bring the wine. Meal time does not have to be boring or repetitive. Try not to order beverages out, get water and save yourself some cash (and calories)! If you’re a big coffee or tea drinker, you can also brew your own drinks (even Starbucks drinks)! Nearly everything coffee shops serve are available for purchase online or at the grocery store.

Productivity:

How many times have you promised yourself that you’ll be more productive? Sometimes it seems like it’s a daily occurrence. It really is possible to get more done and faster, you just have to sit down and focus.

Spend less time online 

You know this and yet, if you’re anything like me, somehow you don’t follow this. If your homepage is Facebook, change that. It’s way too easy to get distracted every time you get online. When you have a big paper to write, have one of your friends block you from your account. Or, you can download software to block you from social media sites when you need it. In general, browse less, type and research more. Getting up and walking around is a much better study break than five…er…fifteeen minutes on Facebook.

Get involved

There’s an old adage that goes, “If you need something done, find a busy person.” Busy people are generally more productive, because they have to budget their time better. Getting a job can help give you a more rigid schedule (and more cash flow) and will likely help you work more efficiently. Joining a club, taking a class at Rolfs, attending more events on campus, or creating a schedule can all help with this!

Work first, then play

Notre Dame students are great at embracing the work hard, play hard mentality. At the same time, some people suffer from an inability to work then play, in that order. And that’s ok, some nights, you just can’t focus and you’re better off joining your friends while they’re binging on Downton Abbey. However, it’s better to make sure you get your homework done before you go and do something else. Your ability to focus is better earlier in the day and you’ll have more energy. Try doing some homework when you get out of class instead of climbing into bed to watch three episodes of How I Met Your Mother on Netflix. Same goes for hitting up the bars, do your homework before you go out. Then you can go out and enjoy your adult beverages without stressing about your unfinished homework or studying.

If you study really hard, I’ve heard you burn a lot of calories. Maybe. 

Social:

An ever-important part of your life is your friends. Some nights you may spend a little more time with them than you should (whoops, you didn’t finish your reading for class), but you may also be guilty of neglecting your friends for your schoolwork. Every so often, it’s okay to lock yourself in Club Hes and get stuff done. But be sure to venture out with your friends for some memorable shenanigans too.

Make plans

You may love to just go with the flow, but friendships take effort, especially if you don’t live in the same dorm or even on campus. Be sure to text your friends for coffee or lunch. Odds are it will make their day, because you went out of your way to see them. If you’re guilty of not texting back (you know who you are) or never being the one to initiate, try just a bit harder this year. Don’t delay responding or hesitate to text someone if you think of them. Sometimes, “I miss you! Let’s grab coffee this week” is all you have to do!

Just do it 

At the same time, sometimes it’s best to seize an opportunity when it presents itself. If your friends invite you to dinner, put your homework down and go eat with them. Don’t miss out walks around the lake, trips to the Grotto, visit to your best male friend’s dorm or general shenanigans because you’re too wrapped up in your responsibilities. Live in the moment every now and again and leave your work for later.

Conquer FOMO

This is my last bit of advice, because it seems to be a chronic problem, especially for seniors. You need to get over your fear of missing out. FOMO can be bad for your grades and your friendships if you let it determine what you’re doing on any given night. The Backer is going to be there every Saturday. Just because “all” of your friends are going, doesn’t mean you should miss out on the house party you got invited to because your usual group won’t be there. Don’t neglect your grades because there’s a bar for every night of the week. Don’t do poorly on your Friday test because you had to go out and Thirsty Thursday like every other Thursday. Don’t be afraid of missing out on anything! Learn to be just as happy with a bottle of wine, your roommates and a chick flick, as you are with getting all dolled up to go to Feve or guzzling forties at four. Wherever you want to be is where you’ll be the happiest. Don’t let anyone else determine what you do or where you go on any given night. Throw your own party, wear sweatpants, eat carbs. Don’t be consumed with FOMO, don’t YOLO, seize every day and make this semester the best one yet!

Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4

Maria Fahs

Notre Dame

Maria is finishing her Masters in English at Notre Dame. She has read many good books and several bad books, but she usually tries not to finish those. Her current favorites are: 1984, The Book Thief, The Tragedy Paper, Code Name Verity, Dr. Copernicus, I Am the Messenger, Alice in Wonderland, Peter Pan, and of course, Harry Potter. She is writing her second thesis on Harry Potter, exploring notions of authorship and reader agency in the digital age. She even managed to write her Capstone on British Children's Literature and designed her own Directed Readings Course on Notre Dame history during undergrad. Her favorite way to read is with a mug of tea and scented candles. When she doesn't have her nose stuck in a book, she can be found binging on the BBC (Downton Abbey, Doctor Who, Sherlock, Merlin [RIP]). Her favorite color is purple, she studied abroad in London, and she enjoys being an amateur painter. She harbors a not-so-secret dream of one day writing a children's book, but until then, she is likely to be found reading them and writing letters whenever she gets a chance. She hopes to teach English or work in a university sharing her love of education.
AnnaLee Rice

Notre Dame

AnnaLee Rice is a senior at the University of Notre Dame with a double major in Economics and Political Science and a minor in PPE. In addition to being the HCND Campus Correspondent, she is editor-in-chief of the undergraduate philosophy research journal, a research assistant for the Varieties of Democracy project, and a campus tour guide.  She believes in democracy and Essie nailpolish but distrusts pumpkin spice lattes because they are gross.