danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Career

How to Nail Your Next Interview: My Favorite Preparation Rituals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

The real spooky season has begun…recruiting season. EEK! A bunch of applications have opened, and more applications mean more interviews. ☹.

I’m writing this with a massive one looming overhead, so really the next few paragraphs are a letter to my panicking self. BUT! Hopefully you’ll find some of my tips and tricks useful when you prepare for your next big pitch.

Know Yourself! 

Take some time before the big sit-down (or video call if you’re ~modern~ like that) and read over your application materials. Check out your resume. Draft some talking points. Consider all the great things you’ve done so far and be confident in your life experiences. Taking even just 20 minutes to be self-aware will help you be cool, calm and collected before you get started.

Practice Talking!!

I love a good TEDxAshton conference. Basically, I give myself TED talks when I’m alone and I practice conversations about intense topics so I can be prepared at a moment’s notice to join in an argument. It sounds kind of insane, I know, but I think it’s improved my ability to speak in public and to confidently hold opinions. Now, when I get thrown a random interview question, I feel more comfortable thinking on the fly because I do it all day long. Also, it’s really fun! That is, until your roommate walks in and thinks you’re insane or the person at the stoplight next to you turns their head…awkward.

Dress for Success!!

This is possibly the most cliche interview tip out there, but it is SUCH an important one. I get major confidence from a good look, so it’s always important to look my best. One of the first things I do when I get an interview is raid my closet and find the perfect thing to wear. I always get excited to wear a good outfit, so having something cute planned helps calm some pre-interview nerves and replaces them with confidence and excitement! 

Have a plan for afterwards!

Promise yourself a cookie. Make a dining hall date with a friend. Save an episode of your favorite show to watch. Get a mocha. Read a book. Do something ~fun and adventurous~. The plan itself doesn’t really matter, but give yourself something to look forward to. That way, even if everything goes horribly and you’re upset, you’ll have something to cheer you up. And if everything goes well, you’ll have a way to celebrate! 

Empower Yourself! 

Have a good breakfast in the morning and play pop-y girl power songs all day! Scroll through Rupi Kaur’s Instagram feed and read some poems. Get into the headspace of a boss lady and stay that way throughout your interview! You’re incredible and amazing and you deserve the world, so believe it! 

Go Irish, get whatever you want!

Ashton Weber

Notre Dame '22

Hi! My name is Ashton and I am a sophomore at Notre Dame. I'm majoring in Economics and Film, Television, and Theatre with a minor in Journalism, Ethics, and Democracy (yeah... I know it's a lot of words). I am passionate about human rights (especially women's rights), mental health awareness, and self-care, so I will be writing a lot about those topics. My favorite color is pink, I have a slight obsession with kale (and cake), and I'm an avid yogi, so expect those things to seep into my work too. Thank you for reading! AND GO IRISH!!