This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Coming from Atlanta where winter lasts a month and flowers start to bloom in late January, the adjustment to South Bend’s frigid winter season was tough. I felt just as gray as the sky looked when the permacloud came around, but I was able to find some activities that helped me feel a little better and sun-kissed throughout the long winter days. There is no doubt that the approaching cold weather can affect your mood and self-confidence, so it is important to make sure you do what you can to feel your best—inside and out—even in the darkest days!

Vitamin D Supplements 

Vitamin D supplements are essential in a place like South Bend; they ensure that you are getting the right amount of the vitamin to avoid a deficiency. This deficiency can make you feel sick, tired and sad. Stock up on your vitamins to bring a little sun into your system!

HappyLight® Therapy Lamps

The HappyLight® brings daylight inside. The light mimics the sun by emitting a bright white light without all of the harmful UV rays. There are mirrors that you can buy with the HappyLight® attached, so you can sit down and do your makeup while experiencing the positive benefits of sitting in the sun!

Self-Tan

Feeling better about your outside appearance can benefit you in so many ways. Personally, I always feel a little better when I have a sun-kissed glow. I have found that using a self-tanning lotion makes me feel better about how I look, which then gives me a little self-confidence boost. There is no shame in using self-tanner because doing what makes you feel good is important and looking like a golden goddess is nothing to be shameful about! 

Stay Moisturized

There is nothing worse than dry skin in the winter. The cracks and the dead skin are just a constant reminder of the cold and dry days. Lotion and water should be your best friends. Try out a hydrating face mask (or two) to maintain a dewy look that could outlast another Midwestern polar vortex.

Try to Embrace It

If you are like me and didn’t grow up in a place that had winter, try to embrace the cold and make the most of it. Cuddle up on the couch with all of your friends, make hot chocolate, have a movie marathon and remember that winter doesn’t last forever! 

Photo 1, 2 and

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on Facebook, Pin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Mary Alice Millard

Notre Dame '22

My name is Mary Alice, and I am a sophomore at Notre Dame and I am studying American Studies and Spanish. I was born in New York City, but I grew up in and consider Atlanta, Georgia my hometown. In my free time I love to hang out with my friends and family, and write about what is going on in the world!