How to Keep Your Cool Amidst Coronavirus: Cooking

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Now that colleges and universities across the country have moved to online learning for the rest of the semester due to Coronavirus threats, students are looking for ways to spice up their lives that don’t require leaving the house. My suggestion? Cooking. It’s a skill that many college kids tell themselves they’ll cultivate once they graduate college, but that goal isn’t always realized.

In the midst of anxiety over COVID-19, it’s important to find activities that help keep you centered and keep your mind occupied. Taking these next few weeks to find your inner chef will not only give you an important new skillset, but will also help you keep your cool amidst the chaos.

A great location to start your cooking journey is a place where you’re probably already spending a lot of time — Instagram. Check out these 5 awesome #foodstagram accounts that are full of recipes for beginners to get started:

@food52

Food 52 is a platform that is focused on thoughtful and joyful living. In addition to recipes that focus on sustainable, unique and healthy ingredients, their IG and website also have awesome travel and lifestyle tips.

Check out this Chickpea, Spinach and Chorizo Frittata to get your day off to a strong start.

@feedtheswimmers

Feed the Swimmers is an account run by a mom who raised competitive swimmers. She was always asked by friends and family, “what are you feeding the swimmers?” which is how she got the name of her blog and account. Feed the Swimmers focuses on nutritious recipes that fill you up. 

Take a look at these Sweet Potato Nachos to learn how to make this healthy and delicious snack.

@halfbakedharvest

Half Baked Harvest is focused on teaching people how to make cozy, homestyle food that truly satisfies. They have a nice mix of healthy recipes and sweet treats on their page, so you can find any type of recipe you’re looking for. Check out their blog for step-by-step videos walking you through their most popular recipes!

For a healthy take on a classic dish, try out Half Baked Harvest’s One Pot Creamy Cauliflower Mac n Cheese!

@healthy_ish

Healthyish is one of the most popular food accounts on Instagram. and for a good reason. They are part of the Bon Appétite family so they combine high quality cooking with basic ingredients that are accessible to the general public. In addition to “healthyish” recipes, their blog has interesting profiles of chefs and other amazing food-related stories.

If you shy away from making Asian cuisine because it seems challenging, take a look at this One-Pot Gingery Chicken With Peanut Sauce to conquer your fear.

@nytcooking

New York Times Cooking is one of the best in the game. Their IG features recipes from all over the world, ranging from nutritious to not-so-nutritious. All their recipes are worth looking at, but even if you don’t intend on making any, a scroll on their page will give you plenty of aesthetic inspiration.

When learning how to cook, it’s good to start simple. Try out this delicious and easy 5-Minute Hummus to get started.

Cooking is just one of many new skills to try out while you’re hanging at home during this time. Take the time to figure out what works for you!