bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

How to Deal with Homesickness in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

For many people, college is the first time in their lives that they might be living away from their families. It isn’t always an easy topic to discuss, as you are expected to embrace your newfound independence with open arms. But sometimes, adjusting to life away from your home can be difficult, regardless of whether you’ve moved half an hour away or halfway around the world. 

There is an expectation for college to be “the best time of your life,” so it can be really difficult if you don’t feel that way. Here are some tips that can help to combat feelings of homesickness at university.

Get out and keep busy

While it might be tempting to just sit in your room, it’s important to get out, even if it’s just for a short while. Grabbing some friends and going for a coffee, going to a club meeting, heading to the gym or even just making sure you’re going to all of your classes are all ways that you can get your mind off of your homesickness. Scheduling social activities will give you things to look forward to and will help you to build a network at the university too.

Bring some home comforts

When packing for college, bring your favourite bedding, photos of your family and friends and any sentimental items that might help make your university room feel as homey as possible. Take whatever you need to feel more comfortable in your surroundings – don’t be embarrassed!

Call home (but not too often)

If you try to stop yourself from calling home altogether, you will only miss your family even more. Start by calling or texting every other day in the beginning and then slowly ease back as you begin to get busier with studies and social activities.

This also goes for visiting home if you don’t go to college too far away. Schedule a visit a few weeks into the semester to give yourself something to look forward to, but try not to go home every single weekend–otherwise you’ll end up missing out on social activities at your university and the chance of making new friends. You should try to give yourself the chance to find a support network too.

Talk to people

If your homesickness is getting to a point where you are finding it difficult to cope, try to speak to someone about it. Most universities will have counseling services that you can turn to for advice and support on how to deal with your feelings.

If you have pre-existing mental health conditions such as anxiety or depression, homesickness may trigger these, so talking about your concerns with someone may help to keep those in check. Homesickness can also cause you to develop these conditions, so try to monitor your feelings as best as you can.

Look after yourself

Your mental and physical health are linked, so if you start neglecting your physical health, your mental health could start to go downhill, too. It sounds simple but getting enough sleep, eating healthy and getting some exercise can really help to boost your well-being.

Give yourself time

If you don’t fall in love with college the second you step onto campus, that is OK. Some students will take to college life like a duck to water, but if you take a little longer, there is no shame in that. It is quite a big life adjustment to make in so many ways, so don’t pressure yourself to settle in immediately.

Conversely, don’t be alarmed if in the first semester you don’t have any issues and then find yourself feeling homesick later on in the year. Homesickness can strike at any time, even during your final year, so don’t be too hard on yourself if it does happen to you.

College is a period of growth and change. It can be overwhelming at times, but it can also be some of the most memorable years of your life. Don’t get yourself down if you start getting homesick, and just remember to enjoy the little amount of time that you have in college because it will be over before you know it.

Sarah Duarte

Notre Dame '22

Hey I’m Sarah Duarte! I am majoring in History with minors in Digital Marketing and Constitutional Studies at the University of Notre Dame. I’m also a Zumba instructor and am from Southern California.