How To Be A Heartbreaker

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

I break down Marina & The Diamonds’ song “How To Be A Heartbreaker” into an ND single girl’s playbook. If you’re unfamiliar with the song, listen to it first here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v…

Rule number one: “You gotta have fun. But baby when you’re done, you gotta be the first to run”

This at first appears to directly say you should hit it and quite it like Shane Oman in the projection room above the auditorium. I interpret it slightly differently. It is well known that the best part of a relationship is the beginning where there are only good feelings about one another and the guy is on top of his game. Instead of going through the obnoxious process of having the boy you are talking to slip up his game, just leave him when you see it coming. This way you can save yourself analyzing with your friends why he’s not texting you and instead find someone new to have fun with. Time is precious at ND, we’re busy girls here.

Rule number two: “Just don’t get attached to somebody you could lose.”

Boys at our age tend to be considerably unstable when it comes to knowing what they want. Instead of getting attached to a man, learn to have fun with your girls who will never break your heart.

Rule number three: “Wear your heart on your cheek. But never on your sleeve, unless you wanna taste defeat.”

Don’t throw all of your emotions out there for someone to just pick a part. It’s never wise to be cold as stone– guys have feelings too and you might be missing out on something if you don’t let somebody in. That being said, while you should give some of your feelings away you shouldn’t show them all.

Rule number four: “Gotta be looking pure. Kiss him goodbye at the door and leave him wanting more-more”

Remember that age-old adage asking why would you buy a cow when you can get the milk for free? Keep your goodies in a jar, ladies, and learn appropriate boundaries in a hook-up. And yes, I understand the ND version is different than maybe other school’s, but that’s just the way it is and when you’re older you’ll actually appreciate it.

“How to be a heartbreaker

Boys they like the look of danger

We’ll get him falling for a stranger, a player

Singing I lo-lo-love you

At least I think I do!”

Marina & The Diamonds

University of Notre Dame; Class of 2014