This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

‘Tis the season to go to the movie theater and see some fabulous new films! From highly anticipated movies to ones that are under the radar, here are my picks for the must-see flicks this holiday season!

Frozen II

I’ve always been skeptical of sequels, so I had to go see this one myself. Let me just say, I was not disappointed. The animation and colors truly blew me away. On top of that, the music was fantastic! The soundtrack has a more broadway, sophisticated feel, and I was all for it. The movie explores themes of love, loss, bridging differences and doing what’s right even when it feels wrong. Plus, how could I forget Olaf?! This movie has it all, from laughs and tears to overall good feelings.

Knives Out

Here’s another one that I had to go see for myself. I would be lying if I said I wasn’t hooked because Chris Evans was in it, but I also love a good whodunnit. When a father “commits suicide” a few days after his 85th birthday, family arguments arise and private investigator Benoit Blanc (played by Daniel Craig) suspects foul play. This classic mystery is another must-see with the family.

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

I’ve grown up in a Star Wars family where we have always watched each movie together. This one won’t be an exception. Premiering on December 19th, this movie concludes the Star Wars saga. The trailer gives me absolutely NO CLUES as to what is going to happen, but I’m so excited to see how this trilogy ends!

1917

I saw the trailer for this movie when I saw Knives Out not too long ago, and as a history nerd, I’m definitely going to see this one. I did a little research and found that this movie is the recounting of a story that director Sam Mendes was told by his grandfather. The plot follows two British soldiers who are tasked with delivering a message of an ambush during the German retreat to the Hindenburg Line during Operation Alberich. It stars George MacKay, Dean-Charles Chapman, Mark Strong, Andrew Scott, Richard Madden, Claire Duburcq, Colin Firth and Benedict Cumberbatch. I might have to go see it on Christmas Day when it’s released!

Little Women

The cast speaks for itself. Meryl Streep, Saoirse Ronan, Timothée Chalamet, Emma Watson, Florence Pugh, Eliza Scanlen and Laura Dern are all starring in this film. Need I say more to convince you to go? The trailer is just another reason to get amped for this movie’s release on Christmas Day. This female empowerment film will bring the book Little Women to life. I’ve already started reading it after watching the trailer. I’m a firm believer of reading a book before seeing the movie, and I haven’t seen the old movie yet either!

Happy Holidays and happy movie watching, everyone!

Addison Quinn

Notre Dame '22

Hi all! I am from Granger, IN (a lengthy twenty minute drive away from campus) and Ryan Hall is truly a home away from home! I am an intended Marketing major with a Collaborative Innovation minor, but I love trying new things! I’d say my spirit animal is a giraffe because I’m tall, awkward when I run, have a longer than average neck, and don’t drink nearly enough water.