Holiday Week: 5 Ways to Get Yourself in the Holiday Spirit During Finals Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Finals season combined with the holiday season can be stressful. You don’t want to miss out on all of the joy that the holidays bring, but you also can’t miss out on studying. These are five things to try that can help sprinkle a little Christmas spirit into the whirlwind of the end of the semester:

Candles 

A candle that smells like a Christmas tree or a cinnamon stick can make your room feel so cozy and just like home. I know that for me, not being home at this time of the year is hard because I miss things like getting the tree and decorating the house. Every little thing that I can do to make my dorm feel like home counts.

Lights

Sparkling lights are a great way to give your room a Christmas-y vibe. Seeing Christmas lights lets you know that it’s that special time of year.

Music

Nothing gets you in the Christmas mood faster than music. Having Christmas music playing in the background while you study is a great way to have those warm and fuzzy Christmas feelings rush back. There is great music, old and new, so put on some Nat King Cole or Justin Bieber and sing along. As Buddy the Elf told us, “The best way to spread Christmas cheer, is singing loud for all to hear.”

Hot Chocolate and Other Christmas Treats

Treat yourself because finals are hard! A big cup of peppermint hot chocolate or a peppermint mocha will taste like Christmas in your mouth.

Movies

A good Christmas movie is the perfect way to take a study break. Since they are usually about one to one-and-a-half hours, it’s a perfect amount of time to collect yourself so that you can get back to studying. A Christmas classic like Home Alone or Elf, or a Netflix original will do the trick.

It’s hard to balance the holiday season and finals season; but with these tips, you’ll be able to enjoy both! 

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on Facebook, Pin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Photos 1, 2 and 3 

Mary Alice Millard

Notre Dame '22

My name is Mary Alice, and I am a sophomore at Notre Dame and I am studying American Studies and Spanish. I was born in New York City, but I grew up in and consider Atlanta, Georgia my hometown. In my free time I love to hang out with my friends and family, and write about what is going on in the world!