This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

For those who don’t already know, Taylor Swift was recently awarded the title “Artist of the Decade” at the American Music Awards. She has been making music for 10 years, and I have loved it all! Here is a list of my favorite songs from each of her albums to commemorate her accolades and accomplishments:

Taylor Swift – “Our Song”

This song was from Swift’s first album, but I still listen to it now. “Our Song” talks about a special song between two people and how it can define their relationship in a way, which I love. I have favorite songs that I associate with different people in my life. There are no words to describe how much those songs mean to me and that person. Swift also includes the highs and lows of a relationship in the song. She compares “our song” to a “slamming screen door” and the way one laughs. She shows how songs—and relationships in general—can be good and bad, but ultimately it is that special connection between two people that makes it worth it.

Fearless – “The Best Day”

Picking my favorite song from this album was a struggle. I have to admit that this is my favorite album that Swift  has ever made, and in the end, I do have to go with “The Best Day.” In this song, Swift sings about her mother and how much she appreciates her. It shows how close she and her mother have become throughout the years. I get chills when I hear this song because it reminds me of my mom and why she is my best friend. I always have great days with my mom regardless if we stay home or go out. Swift hit the nail on the head when she wrote this one!

Speak Now – “The Story of Us”

I love this song because of the insight it provides into some relationships without being overly sad. “The Story of Us” talks about falling in love quickly but knowing that the relationship is close to ending. It notes miscommunications and other problems as the cause of the end of the relationship. It’s a sad concept, but the reality is that many relationships do end. Overall, this song maintains a happier vibe even though it handles a tougher topic to cover.

Red – “22”

What more can you want from a feel-good song than what we get from “22?” I may not be 22 yet, but this song makes me wish I was. It makes you want to dance and laugh—it’s fun and a definite change of pace from some of the sad relationship songs that Swift typically writes. If you’re looking for an up-beat vibe, then I suggest turning to “22.”

1989 – “Wildest Dreams”

1989 is probably my second favorite Taylor Swift album of all time. The song “Wildest Dreams” makes me happy—it feeds the part of me that is a hopeless romantic and reminds me that love is real and discoverable. 

Reputation – “End Game”

I didn’t love this album, but the songs were still good overall. “End Game” is another song that helps remind me that falling in love is okay. It is fine to want to be with someone even if it does come to an end. Future and Ed Sheeran feature on the song as well.

Lover – “You Need to Calm Down”

Lover reminds everybody that we should put more love into the world than hate. “You Need to Calm Down” discusses that hate doesn’t change people. I think one of my favorite parts of the song is when she mentions that people are taking shots at her at 7 a.m. Some people wake up and are immediately ready to tear other people down. In 2019, I think we need to stop the hate and understand that mean words help nobody in the end.

I just want to say thank you to Taylor Swift for creating incredible albums throughout the years. I have cried and laughed along to her songs, and cannot wait for what is to come!

Indonesia Brown

Notre Dame '22

I am a political science and psychology major with a minor in journalism. I am originally from South Bend and am the 4th generation to live in my current house. I love all animals and I have a dog at home named Enzo.