Greenfield’s: Notre Dame’s Hidden Treasure

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Recently, I took advice from a friend and paid a visit to Greenfield’s, a well-hidden restaurant serving up fresh ingredients and off-campus dining ambiance. After a little bit of hunting in the Hesburgh center for International Studies, I discovered what seemed to be an oasis of brightly colored furniture and relaxed diners. After placing my order at the counter (for the record, I got a Tuna melt that would easily become my daily lunch if flex points weren’t limited), I received a number card and real silverware (I’m serious about this silverware, people- it’s even wrapped in a fancy napkin). I chose a table near the window, set my textbooks down on the chair next to me, and placed my number onto the fancy holder on the table before helping myself to cucumber water (yes, you read that right, cucumber water) in a real glass. Did I mention my meal only cost $6.50?

After a record wait time of 3 minutes, my food arrived in a fashion reminiscent of any upscale restaurant. For a second I forgot all about the teeming masses in South Dining Hall and the hectic rush of Subway. I was sitting in a sunbathed room eating the most oh-my-god-this-is-too-good-to-be-college-food tuna melt, enjoying fresh fruit out of a glass dish (not a dining hall bowl), and sipping iced cucumber water.

As I indulged in the toasted bread and melted, cheesy goodness in front of me, I began to notice the other diners around me. For the most part, they were graduate students or professors; I saw a grand total of four undergrads chatting at tables or waiting in line for food. How didn’t more people know about this mecca of delicious foods? And how was I previously one of them?!

After finishing possibly the most satisfying, affordable meal of my college experience, I drained my glass, picked up my textbooks, and headed off to class. No putting away trays here: the wait staff will take care of it for you.

Seriously, go to Greenfields. It’s a three minute walk from DeBart and the wait time is about half that of ordering a wrap at ABP. They serve breakfast and lunch until 2, Monday through Friday. And it’s a wise way to spend flexpoints: in my opinion the food is grossly underpriced for the experience you receive. You can browse the menu here. Don’t know where The Hesburgh Center for International Studies is? Here’s a map. You can thank me later.

HCXO, Alex 

Want more campus news and highlights? Follow HCND on Twitter and like us on Facebook!

Photos 1, 2

Alex Duffy

Notre Dame

Alex is a freshman business major living in Badin Hall (go Bullfrogs!). When she's not biking around campus or eating at South Dining Hall, you can find her walking Cooper the cocker spaniel around North Quad, running the lakes, or manning the front desk at McKenna Hall. Her guilty pleasures include Grey's Anatomy, four-cheese pasta, Pinterest DIY's, and yoga.