Google Hangouts as Illustrated by Parks and Rec

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Eighty percent of the time it’s fantastic to have friends all over the United States. Their unique customs, dialects, and varying tolerances to winter always keep things interesting and livens every conversation. However, when finals come to an end and the dorms are packed up, the 20% kicks in and it dawns on you – you’re not going to see these people until August. At least that’s how it used to be. Nowadays, modern technology (a.k.a. video calls) is doing its part to make the distance seem shorter. Incredible, right?

The first order of business is to schedule a time. You considerately choose a time in the evening when everyone should be off work and propose it in the group message. Then you wait patiently for all of the stellar feedback you’re sure to get.

As the minutes pass and the messages come in, you realize that you forgot that time zones exist and that 6 PM Pacific time won’t work for your friend studying abroad in Europe. After a few adjustments and a realization that accommodating everyone’s schedule is nearly impossible, you settle on a time a week from now that 60% can attend.

The week drags by, and every time something exciting happens, you add it to the list of things to mention. By the time the day of the video call comes around, you know exactly what you’re going to tell everyone.

You’ve know the exact time and date of the call for a week now, so there’s no way you’ll forget about it, right? Wrong. Ten minutes before you’re supposed to be online, you’re twenty miles away from your house and your computer is dead.

Luckily, everyone else is late too. A few more minutes go by, and then you’re ready to call! Except you forgot that video calls are 1000x harder to navigate than phone calls. As anyone who’s ever touched a computer before could tell you, technology doesn’t always politely cooperate. After fumbling with your headphones and clicking every button on the screen to make the video work, you are logged on and ready to chat!

What are those beautiful faces you see? Who are these bewitching angels on the screen?? Tears almost brim at your eyes when you see your friends smiling back at you. Sure, the video quality is subpar and everyone’s voice echoes, but at least you are communicating.

Everyone takes turns filling everyone else in on what’s happened in their summer so far. Since you haven’t spoken for a while, the stories are numerous and juicy. Ignoring the few moments when your screen freezes, you learn about internship woes, travel tales, and summer romances. Then you take your turn, gushing about your embarrassing encounters and telling jokes that only they understand. It feels delightful to bask in the glory of your inside jokes again.

The conversation is so effortless that you forget the world is still spinning. Eventually, you look outside and notice that it’s suddenly nighttime. You can’t believe hours have passed and are ridiculously disoriented.

You hate to do it, but you’re starting to get hungry and your battery is dying, so you say your goodbyes and click the red phone. Although it was a struggle, the entire endeavor was worthwhile because you got to see your friends, though it’s still not the same as being with each other in person. When the great reunion happens you know things will get crazy, but until then, all you need is a webcam and some patience to be together again.  

The HCND application is now open! For more information contact Rebecca Rogalski at rebeccarogalski@hercampus.com or Katrina Linden at katrinalinden@hercampus.com

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Images 12, 3, 4, 56, 7, 8, 9, 10

Madeline is a Junior Computer Science & Psychology dual-degree student from a farm in Iowa. When she's not studying in her Welsh Fam dorm room, she enjoys eating overpriced chips and salsa from the Huddle, practicing for a non-existent "American Idol" audition on her ukulele, and spending an embarrassing amount of time searching for a new Netflix series to commit to.