This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

We’re on the clock now. It’s May, classes have ended, and we can count the number of days until we all head our separate ways. It is time to start saying goodbye.

I like to pretend I’ve completely avoided any of the side effects of graduation, but these past few days have proven that untrue.

Senior Send-Off masses took place in many halls this past weekend, with more to come this Sunday. I sang for the last time with my hall mass choir, affectionately known as BOSA (the Band of Saint Ann). Just like the first week I showed up there three years ago, I sang the psalm. I teared up watching a friend receive an award for her devotion to our wonderful hall community.

The clubs I joined, meetings I have shown up to every week for a few years now, are even making me nostalgic. I could not have imagined the meaning that ringing handbells has brought me over the past two years. I don’t know what it will be to not see those people, to not get to play such ridiculous instruments every week when I don’t even know what an C major chord is. I ask a friend everytime, and he tells me I need to play my C bell. I am going to miss relying on all of my fellow choir members for the piece to come together. I’m going to miss being the chaplain to our little group, ending practice in prayer and trying to spin something meaningful off the cuff. I’ve gotten a lot better at it over the year.

I will miss my wonderful job and my wonderful coworkers. I cannot imagine leaving this workplace, this work I have loved to do. I know I need to, but it is already hard to think about not seeing these people.

It is the final surveys we have been filling out for weeks now, or putting off, because we think we have time. There really isn’t time anymore.

Every long, late night conversation with a friend could be the last one we have here. Even if it isn’t yet goodbye, those unplanned moments might not occur again. We had all the time in the world to meet and get to know people, but now we don’t.

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Image 1, 2, 3

Julia Erdlen

Notre Dame

I'm a junior living in Ryan Hall. Majoring in English and minoring in Science, Technology, and Values, and Computing and Digital Technologies. I'm from just outside of Philadelphia, and people tend to call out my accent. In the free time I barely have, I'm consuming as much superhero media and as many YA novels as pssible.