The Good and the Bad of the VMA’s

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

The VMAs happened recently to wrap up the summer and everyone was pulling out their hottest looks on the red carpet, or so they thought. Here’s are a few of the best and worst VMA outfits. 

Taylor Swift

At this point, everybody knows that Taylor swift loves 2-piece matching sets. At the VMA’s she looked like a futuristic Cleopatra in this ensemble by Ashish. The jogger set was covered in sequins and drew all eyes to Taylor. She polished off the look with dazzling Louboutins.

Gigi Hadid

Don’t get me wrong, I have been a huge Gigi Hadid fan for a long time. However, if you are going to get a fake tan make sure it’s not the exact same color as your dress. Gigi’s dress was beautiful, but it was the same fake orange color as her face. She is doing great at New York Fashion Week right now though!

Hailee Steinfield

Hailee is only 18 but in this look she appears to be 24. It is super modern and mature in an adorable way. The shape is avant-garde without being too out there. If you loved this look be sure to check out her after party look which was even better!

Miley Cyrus

Ground Control to Major Miley? Talk about space oddity! Miley looks like she is about to fly a spaceship out of Los Angeles. Wearing silver shiny boots and no shirt a lot of people are wondering how someone could forget to get dressed before they host an awards show? But overall, she did an excellent job of keeping the audience entertained throughout the entire show.

Martha Hunt

Martha takes the red carpet by storm in a remixed LBD. The sheer detail and sequins make her stand out in Taylor’s Squad. Her strappy heels really completed her outfit and were super summery and the silver belt accentuates her waistline.

Kim Kardashian

Kim is known for always pulling amazing looks on the red carpet and the dress she wore at the VMA’s this year was stunning. However, wearing something that flashy is not the best idea when you are just a few months away from giving birth. My recommendation to Kim is to put that outfit away and pull it back out after North’s sibling is born. So happy for her and Kanye.

Amber Rose

Amber Rose is covered in so many choice words she would probably be banned from our campus if she stepped foot on it dressed like that. These are all words that her haters use to describe her. I guess she has decided to embrace those nicknames but is the VMA’s the best place to do that? Who knows. Her involvement in women rights is quite admirable, though. 

What were your favorite VMA looks? Let us know!

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on Facebook, Pin with us and show our Instagram some love!.

Images 1-6 ,7

Sierra Mayhew is a rising freshman at the University of Notre Dame studying Film, Television and Theatre (concentration in Television) with a minor in Journalism. She is a guitarist and music enthusiast.  Follow her on instagram @sierra_mayhew.