Going Clear: Four Reasons to Check Out HBO’s Documentary on Scientology

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Previously, my only reference point regarding the religion of Scientology was, well, this:

Scientology is a bit of a paradox: it’s a very famous religion (which is evident by the numerous celebrities that follow it), but its beliefs are relatively unknown to the general public. However, HBO’s recent documentary, “Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief”, aims to both generate conversation among audience members and expose the (not so savory) practices of this rather obscure religion.

The documentary, directed by Alex Gibney, is adapted from Lawrence Wright’s book of the same name and covers some of the most prominent aspects of the religion, from its founder L. Ron Hubbard to its relationship with Hollywood’s elite to claims from several former members of Scientology. Gibney manages to create a compelling documentary that exposes some of the most chilling and problematic aspects of Scientology.

Here are four reasons to check out the film:

Revealing details about its celebrity members

The promise of celebrity scandals is a huge draw for audiences, and Going Clear delivers on its promise. The film chronicles the relationship Scientology spokesmen John Travolta and Tom Cruise have had with the Church, and the details of their relationship are pretty controversial, to put it lightly. Blackmail, “scientology marriages”, and knowledge of church abuse are just a few of the things the documentary discusses, and Gibney’s account of Tom Cruise’s rise within Scientology may make you think twice about watching another Tom Cruise flick.

Scientology’s history reads like something out of science fiction novel

The film’s in depth coverage of L. Ron Hubbard’s founding of the church reads like something out of a pulp fiction novel. Hubbard, a prolific science fiction writer, was forced into exile after founding Scientology amidst allegation of tax fraud and human rights abuses. Much of his life’s history is marked by his tyrannical treatment of church members, his persecution of church critics, his (highly volatile) psychiatric state, and his history of domestic violence (one incident included a kidnapping of his own child whom he eventually sent to a dilapidated house in Cuba), make for a fascinating, if rather gruesome, story.

Yet, this pales in comparison to the bizarre belief system and practices Hubbard devised. For anyone who has ever watched the infamous South Park episode on Scientology, this isn’t as much of a surprise, but for everyone else, well, let’s just say the creation story of Xenu the Galactic overlord and the Thetans is a major eye opener (I swear I am not making this up), as well as the process of “auditing” and “going clear”.

The shocking allegations from its former members

Mike Rinder, former senior executive of the Church of Scientology

Gibney includes interviews from former Scientology members, several of whom were highly prominent within the Churches’ hierarchy. These ex-members detail the horrific abuse they suffered at the hands of David Miscavige, the Church’s current head, as well as the psychological and emotional toll their involvement in the Church has created. Some of the most horrifying details include “The Hole”, a derelict center where Church members are punished for disobedience and questioning of church practices, and the practices of “Disconnecting”, where former Scientology members are forced to break off relationships with current members. Former members also talk about the Church’s controversial acquisition of its tax exempt status from the IRS, and its blackmail defamation of many of the Church’s critics.

Church itself has made a (predictably bad) response to the documentary

Scientology’s response to the accusations to Going Clear makes even Sea World’s response to Blackfish look pretty reasonable. Even before the documentary premiered, the Church of Scientology took out full page ads defaming the documentary and the people involved, launched a (laughably bad) Twitter campaign, and proceeded to harass movie critics who gave the film a good review. If an organization is working this hard to discredit a film, it’s a sure sign that the film is a must see.

For anyone who has officially binge watched every single one of their favorite shows on Netflix, or who is looking to kill some time, this HBO documentary is a pretty good choice. Make sure to check it out!

The HCND application is now open! For more information contact Rebecca Rogalski at rrogalsk@nd.edu or Katrina Linden at klinden1@nd.edu.

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Images: 12345

I'm a junior in Pasquerilla East Hall and am majoring in PLS and Political Science. I hail from Bayamon, Puerto Rico and as a result I wholeheartedly believe that depictions of Hell should involve snow instead of heat. In my free time I write, watch shows like Doctor Who/Steven Universe, read as many articles from EveryDay Feminism as humanly possible, and binge Nostalgia Chick on youtube.