God, Country, Notre Dame: Week in Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

With finals approaching, it can be hard to stay in touch with world news, but don’t feel bad. HCND did all your research for you (we checked with the Honor Code, we’re totally fine). 

A meeting of “world leaders” at a Parisian café. The sign reads: “We want more ambition at the negotiation table.”

Climate Change Conference

The COP 21 (21st Conference of the Parties)

With protests banned in the aftermath of the Paris attacks, protestors against climate change let their shoes do the marching for them.

From November 30 to December 11, leaders and delegates from 195 nations are meeting in Paris to discuss a potential international agreement on climate change; specifically greenhouse gas emissions. The goal of the proposed treaty is to curb fossil fuel usage, thereby reducing dangerous greenhouse emissions and keeping global warming below 2°C (from pre-industrial levels).  The conference also aims at raising awareness of the dangerous consequences of rising temperatures and climate change.

The agreement will extend beyond the year 2020 and must be acceptable to all countries present, who will then be legally bound to adhere to their pledges, or Intended Nationally Determined Contributions (INDCs).  Read each nation’s INDC here

A 2015 Notre Dame alum, Garrett Blad, and Dartmouth alum, Morgan Curtis, biked all the way from Vermont to Paris (with some ferries in between) on an inspiring five-month climate journey.  Read their story here.

San Bernardino, CA Shooting

The fourteen victims of the San Bernardino shooting

At 11 a.m. Wednesday morning, two shooters opened fire on a holiday luncheon at the Inland Regional Center in San Bernardino, CA.  Fourteen people were killed, and another 21 were wounded. The suspects fled the scene and a daylong manhunt ensued.  Suspects Syed Farook, 28, and Tashfeen Malik, 27, husband and wife, were tracked down and killed in a shootout with police.  Farook was an employee of the county health department and the victims’ coworker. So far the motive is unknown, but due to the couple’s arsenal of assault weapons and other factors, the FBI is investigating it as a potential terrorist attack.

Read the stories of the victims here

All Combat Roles Open to Women

1st Lt. Shaye Haver and Capt. Kristen Griest, the first women to complete Army Ranger School

This past Thursday, Defense Secretary Ashton B. Carter announced that all combat roles in the U.S. Armed Forces will now be open to women, beginning after a thirty day mandatory waiting period. This includes positions as Army Rangers and Green Berets, Naval SEALs, Marine Corps Infantry and Air Force parajumpers (all of which were previously only available to men).

According to Mr. Carter, “As long as they qualify and meet the standards, women will now be able to contribute to our mission in ways they could not before.” 

There will be no exceptions. 

The National Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony

The gloom and doom of the news lately has put the nation on edge.  However, even President Obama had enough time and Christmas spirit to host the National Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony in Washington D.C. this Thursday.  If the President can find time to dance with Santa, I think you can find time for a (Christmas-themed?) study break as well. 

And with that we must bid you adieu.  Stay tuned for more COP-21 updates and Christmas encouragement from Her Campus! 

XOXO,

HCND 

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 

MJ Jackson

Notre Dame

Meadow Jackson is a senior at the University of Notre Dame studying Political Science, Japanese, and the Art of Procrastination. Her goals in life are to work toward world peace, run a marathon, and somehow earn a lifetime supply of coffee (not necessarily in that order). She loves learning languages, traveling, eating copious amounts of vegetarian food, and finding hole-in-the-wall cafés in all corners of the world (where she can do all of these things at once). Feel free to email her at any time at mjacks12@nd.edu (especially if you have any information on how to win a lifetime supply of coffee ).