God, Country, Notre Dame: Presidential Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Notre Dame students are smart—no doubt about that—but there’s a difference between being intelligent and being informed. You may excel in the classroom, but education needs worldly context beyond your ND bubble. This weekly column exists to keep you up to date with the latest happenings around the nation in 500 words or less. We do the research, you do the reading. HCNDXO

This week, we’re looking at news stories regarding recent presidential decisions, as well as news on presidential candidates

The Iran Deal

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu

In what some claim to be one of the most historic moments in the Obama presidency, the U.S., along with six other countries, was finally able to strike a nuclear deal with Iran. The deal would allow U.S and other countries to lift the rippling economic sanctions on Iran, so long as Iran significantly cuts back on its nuclear program and restricts it to energy development. While the deal has garnered major support from international leaders and organizations such as the U.N. and diplomats, the deal has also garnered a fair share of criticism from Republicans and Israel Prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu, who argue that the proposed sanctions arent enough to stop a nuclear arms race. The deal is required to pass through the Republican led Congress for approval, though Obama has stated that he won’t hesitate to use veto power, should the deal be rejected.

Prison Reform

Recently, Obama visited El Reno Correctional Institution in Oklahoma, becoming the first sitting president to visit a Federal prison. During his visit, Obama stressed the importance of massive prison reform and proceeded to commute the sentences of 46 low level drug offenders. He also met up with several groups such as the NAACP and VICE to discuss the importance of ending mass incarceration in the U.S, particularly for communities of color. In light of recent new stories regarding police brutality, as well as the increased attention politicians (both Democrat and Republican) have given to the issue of prison reform, this is definitely an issue to look out for.

Kenya visit

Obama also became the first president to visit Kenya. During his stay, Obama took the opportunity to reiterate the U.S.’s relationship with Kenya and commend Kenyan youth for their potential to create political and economic prosperity within their country during an impassioned speak in Nairobi. However, Obama refused to shy away from controversial topics within the country, and condemned homophobia, violence against women, and government corruption within the country during his visit as well.

Presidential nominees

Former Governor Jim Gilmore

Entering a fairly overcrowded field at this point, former governor Jim Gilmore has recently filed the federal paperwork needed to join his fellow Republicans in the GOP presidential race. Gilmore, a former governor of Virginia, becomes the 17th republican candidate and 22nd presidential candidate overall. However, the wide variety of candidates isn’t doing Republicans much good , and experts speculate the over saturation of the GOP candidate field could potentially harm the Republican Party’s chances at winning the presidency come 2016.

Donald Trump

It seems that Trump’s controversial words have helped, rather than hindered his candidacy. The Donald is currently soaring in national polls, as numbers indicate that Trump consistently beats out many of his fellow nominees, including strong contenders like Jeb Bush and Scott Walker. With upcoming debates from CNN and Fox News in August, Trumps success in polls means that big networks will have to feature Trump on prominent debates, despite a lack of support from the Republican Party.

The HCND application is now open! For more information contact Rebecca Rogalski at rebeccarogalski@hercampus.comor Katrina Linden at katrinalinden@hercampus.com

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us, and show our Instagram some love!

Images: 12345

I'm a junior in Pasquerilla East Hall and am majoring in PLS and Political Science. I hail from Bayamon, Puerto Rico and as a result I wholeheartedly believe that depictions of Hell should involve snow instead of heat. In my free time I write, watch shows like Doctor Who/Steven Universe, read as many articles from EveryDay Feminism as humanly possible, and binge Nostalgia Chick on youtube.