The Gay Marriage Debate: A Call for Acceptance

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

This article is in response to a Viewpoint published in The Observer entitled “Somewhere Over the Rainbow” –  http://www.ndsmcobserver.com/viewpoint/somewhere-over-the-rainbow-1.3024244#.UWXew3AWnZc

Photo

“Somewhere Over the Rainbow” Wasn’t Even a Clever Title.

What’s that age-old adage –you know the one – it goes something along the lines of, “Let he who is without sin cast the first stone”? Oh, excuse me, that’s in the Bible. Right. So before I continue, keep that Bible verse in mind (if you aren’t religious, just take the verse for what the words mean) because I’m willing to bet that not a single one of us is without sin. I would love for this article to be all flowery and pretty and about how we should all love one another (which is actually my point), but there are a few things about the anti-homosexual argument I just can’t ignore.

First, I would like to state that the “gay movement” isn’t some sort of cultural fad that has been idolized by pop culture. It isn’t something that has “come and gone” throughout history. Homosexuality has been around and constant for centuries, millennia even. Before “lavish lifestyles” could even exist, because humans were just barely bipedal creatures at the time, homosexuality existed. A group of people didn’t just wake up one day ten years ago and decide to infiltrate homosexuality back into our society just for the hell of it. For Pete’s sake, homosexuality exists within animals. And I think we can all agree that they aren’t doing it for the social media attention.

I mean goodness gracious, people, get a grip. There is homicide, genocide, child abuse and starvation going on in this world and you’re going to bash love? Because when it comes down to it, that’s what you’re doing.

Don’t even get me started on the Catholic argument against homosexuality. Do we not realize how many other religions are accepting of homosexuality? To those churches who deny homosexuals the body and blood of Jesus Christ: how is that in any way Christian? To go along with that, who are you to decide who gets Jesus and who doesn’t?

The counterargument of the pro-homosexual argument, “God created every person in his likeness and image and through his love for us,” is pitiful. Sure, we don’t use this argument for axe murderers, serial killers, terrorists, liars, etc., but for good reason. Those people are hurting others, and making a very conscious choice to do so. Homosexuals, in living a homosexual lifestyle, hurt not a single person.

If it is your belief (and I respect that if it is, as it is mine too) that one day we will have only the Kingdom of God to fall back on and that we will be judged only by the way we have lived our lives, I would recommend against the judgment of others’ sins as wrong. Live your life the way you see fit, but do not impose your beliefs onto others. It is not our place as humans to make judgments such as these simply because we are not God, and we cannot speak for Him.

In addition to all of this, I certainly hope my only purpose on this earth isn’t to be heterosexual so I can reproduce offspring. Because if it is, I’ve sure wasted A LOT of time and money attending this institution when I could have already been a wife with four kids at this point. I mean, hi, I’m twenty-two and four generations ago I would have been considered a spinster. Better yet, if I REALLY wanted to solidify my life’s sole purpose, I could just not get married at all and run wild, procreating with anyone I wished. Now THAT seems logical to me.

Homosexual unions aren’t destroying the sanctity of marriage. Wake up. The fact that weddings are a multi billion dollar per year industry and the fact that the median length of a marriage these days is a measly 11 years (you most certainly cannot tell me that a majority of people get married above age 65 these days) is destroying the sanctity of marriage. Kim Kardashian getting married to a man for 72 hours is most certainly destroying the sanctity of marriage, but I don’t see anti-gays raving about that.

Has anyone ever bothered to notice that the homosexual community sits back and takes all of this verbal (and in the worst cases, physical) slander, while saying nothing about heterosexuals in return? Who is the real Christian here?

The bottom line is this: Who are we to be so quick to point out the sins of others, while blatantly ignoring our own? I am ashamed that a person from this university – a university that strives to embody acceptance, compassion, and love – would go out of their way to offend a good portion, homo- and heterosexual alike, of our student population. Perhaps that wasn’t the intent, but that was certainly the effect. Mind your own business, people, and put the stones away.

Alex is a senior at the University of Notre Dame who has a passion for running. If you can't find her training for her next half marathon (or marathon, if she's feeling ambitious), you will probably find her globe trotting, browsing Lululemon's amazing workout clothing collection, or frantically cramming for her next exam. Alex has just recently been getting into meditation and yoga...stay tuned for updates! Namaste, ladies.
Katie Fusco

Notre Dame

A senior English and American Studies double major at the University of Notre Dame, Katie is passionate about media, education, and public history.